No announcement yet.

how old is too old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI: I just received a set of Avon Road Riders from MC Super Store. Dated 3313, which makes them almost 14 months old.

I assume that is typical, as well as acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
      FYI: I just received a set of Avon Road Riders from MC Super Store. Dated 3313, which makes them almost 14 months old.

I assume that is typical, as well as acceptable.
      Those are fine. It is almost impossible to get brand spanking new tires, with a date code like 3414 (oh by the way only 97 days until Christmas lol). 1 or 2 years old is fine.

When you order online or what ever, they just grab off the shelf. I have even asked my bike shop here if they can order a specific date code on the tire, they said not even, we are at the mercy of the seller/shipper. They won't take the time to check. Though I did have a Dunlop rep send me a replacement front tire, he went out and checked himself. I had just bought a new set of tires and the front tire started cracking with in a couple months. Took it back and checked the date code, omg, it was a 6 year old new tire. . The front they had in stock, the rear tire they ordered and the date on it was only about 9 months old. We then went to the tire racks and I just pulled a random tire out and checked the date, it 7 years old. When the store manager got wind of what happened, he had his parts guys inventory the dates on the tires. They ended up tossing about 15 street tires that had been sitting in the back for a number of years. Dunlop did make good on the tire by sending me the replacement free of charge.
      Last edited by mrbill5491; 09-26-2014, 12:00 PM.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Well I'm not gonna stress too much since the gs is off the road for the season, and with the weather here in the puget sound area this time of year, I only have a couple more rides before my season is over. And I go to school in VA for a little over a month at the end of October for the EA-18G Growler aircraft

Comment

Your best bet to get the "freshest" tires is to order them from the big online retailers like Motorcycle Superstore, Dennis Kirk, Bike Bandit, etc... They have large inventories that turn over regularly, so the odds of getting a tire more than a year old are pretty slim, unless you have a real oddball size.

Since I have so many bikes, my tires age faster than they wear out. I have some 6 year old Metzeler Lasertecs on my GS1100E that have less than 1,500 miles on them, and look like new. My bikes spend all their time in a garage, so the tires probably have less than 100 hours of sunlight exposure on them.

I'm not worried about them at all. I was just riding that bike a couple weeks ago, the tires worked great and I was pushing them pretty hard.
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

well i went for a short ride today and checked the dates on both bikes when i got back. when i talked about avon tires, it was because that's what i was looking at online. but "Sarge's" tires are kenda challenger series. the front's date is 3909 and the rear is 1803, but aren't showing signs of aging like cracking or glazing, and look like they haven't seen much sun.

"Shelah's" tires are dunlop d404 series tires. the front's date is 4106 and the rear's date is 3006. these definitely show signs of age.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
              Eight year old tires on a bike that has been ridden occasionally and has been kept in a garage away from direct sunlight generally will be in far better shape than three year old tires on a bike parked outside all the time.

UV rays and direct solar heat degrade the rubber much more quickly than the rubber naturally outgassing when stored in a dark, cooler space.
              I'd agree with that. When I put mine back on the road, it was with the same tyres it got laid up with. They were ten years old but had almost unworn tread, so I wasn't inclined to junk them if they showed no signs of deterioration. They didn't, so I just rode on them until they wore out.
              They'd been stored indoors in a fairly benign environment.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.
              http://weathersticker.wunderground.c...ions/03960.gif
              Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I bought my '83 model 850 from the original owner in 2005. It had 7,500 miles and the original Bridgestone tires were still on it. the PO had it in the garage under a cover. All the rubber, etc. on the bike looked like brand new. I rode the tread off of the rear tire, and almost off of the front; I think it might have had some mild cracks when I replaced it.

No problems whatsoever.

Comment

My garage stays about 45*-50* in the winter thanks to it being attached to the house and because my forced air heater, water heater, and back side of my chimney are also in the garage, so I'm not worried about moisture out there. I do have windows on the garage door and both exterior walls, so there may be some sun light shining on the tires at some point. The tires on the gs will be replaced since there is deterioration. I'll see about the kz's tires next spring though

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
                    ... but "Sarge's" tires are kenda challenger series. the front's date is 3909 and the rear is 1803, but aren't showing signs of aging like cracking or glazing, and look like they haven't seen much sun. ...
                    If that was my bike, those tires would not be seeing ANY sun.

Not because of their age, but because they are Kenda Challengers.

In my opinion, they are barely qualified to roll the bike around in the garage.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      If that was my bike, those tires would not be seeing ANY sun.

Not because of their age, but because they are Kenda Challengers.

In my opinion, they are barely qualified to roll the bike around in the garage.

I don't know what the Challenger's like on the U.S. market, but in the U.K. I had an early Kenda on the rear. Once I scrubbed it in, it was quite good, decent grip in wet and dry.
                      Then I hit standing water... the kind of standing water, just an inch or so that shouldn't have been a problem at all, and I was only doing ~40mph. The bike slid the rear around like it wanted to spit me off. The reason was - some total muppet at Kenda had made the tread design from a cross-wise series of zig-zags, so when it hit enough water, it couldn't clear out to the sides quickly enough and simply aquaplaned.
                      Stunning piece of design. I took it back for a refund and dumped it, the Kenda rep got it back from the dealer with appropriate words and I rode off with a Metz or Conti instead (don't recall which).
                      I reckon I wasn't the only one it happened to either, as shortly after that the tread pattern was changed and I had another Kenda later with no ill effects in the wet.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.
                      http://weathersticker.wunderground.c...ions/03960.gif
                      Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                        It's a fact. Rubber dries as it ages, and dry rubber doesn't stick the way new rubber does. Personally I'd feel uneasy on 5 year old tires, due to consensus I've drawn from people's opinion. Maybe you can get away with it, maybe tires age differently, depending on conditions... I've never tested it. I can tell you that 10+ year old skins are 'interesting' to ride on. Fortunately I wear tires out before age is an issue.
                        +1..... old tires even though they look great dry out and loose grip big time. And in the wet are no fun at all.

Comment

I take it kenda tires are a last ditch tire then. Good to know when I get new tires

Comment

Working...
                          X