350x18 or 400x18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

350x18 or 400x18

Hi friends, im looking for some tires to my GS 400 i want to give to it an old school look, like old school racing bike.

i was searching for 400x18 tires but i haven't found any ( in Argentina ) i only found 350x18

do you have any photos of this sizes so i can compare? i think 350 size is to thin, but i wanna see.

greetings!

Do you also have tires available with the metric sizing?

If so, look for 100/90-18 or 110/90-18.

The stock size on the rear was, indeed, 3.50 x 18 which would be a 90/90-18,
    but you can go up to a 100 easily, might have to check clearances on the 110.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Do you also have tires available with the metric sizing?

If so, look for 100/90-18 or 110/90-18.

The stock size on the rear was, indeed, 3.50 x 18 which would be a 90/90-18,
      but you can go up to a 100 easily, might have to check clearances on the 110.

Yes sorry, o also found 100/90-18, whats the equivalent in inches?

i think its too thin for the bike too.

if you have pictures of bikes with that sizes post it please

Comment

100mm is about 3.94 inches

25.4mm = 1 inch

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
          100mm is about 3.94 inches

25.4mm = 1 inch

yes but i think the metrical and imperial size measures are taken with differently considerations, am i wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Mailo View Post
            yes but i think the metrical and imperial size measures are taken with differently considerations, am i wrong?
            Not sure what you mean there, but 3.50 inches is 88.9mm, so a 90 tire would be the most-direct fit.

Many (most?) of the inch-spec tires were a 100 cross-section, most of the modern tires are a 90, so to keep the original height of the original tire, going up one size to a 100/90-18 would be appropriate.

As others have already pointed out, the 100mm width is 3.94 inches, making it the most-direct replacement for the 4.00.
            Going up one size for that one would put you at a 110/90-18.

Don't worry about the tire being "too skinny". The tires "back then" operated close to the limits of what the frame could handle, and today's tires are a LOT better, so tires are not going to be your limiting factor, despite their "skinnyness".

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I would go with either the 100/90-18(3.50 range) or 110/90-18(3.75 range) on the rear and stay away from old school 3.50-18 sizes. You'll get better speed ratings, better tread design and cheaper price. You won't get that old school crappy tread design look though. Form always follows function for me especially with that GS400, which is capable of stuff beyong the old tire designs.
              Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2014, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Not sure what you mean there, but 3.50 inches is 88.9mm, so a 90 tire would be the most-direct fit.

Many (most?) of the inch-spec tires were a 100 cross-section, most of the modern tires are a 90, so to keep the original height of the original tire, going up one size to a 100/90-18 would be appropriate.

As others have already pointed out, the 100mm width is 3.94 inches, making it the most-direct replacement for the 4.00.
                Going up one size for that one would put you at a 110/90-18.

Don't worry about the tire being "too skinny". The tires "back then" operated close to the limits of what the frame could handle, and today's tires are a LOT better, so tires are not going to be your limiting factor, despite their "skinnyness".

sorry my english is kinda limited

i meant that for example 110mm tire isn't a 4.33 inch tire, becouse the sizes in both measurement systems aren't taken in the same places of the tire. i tought the conversion of tires wasnt lineal like 1inch=25,4mm. im wrong?

i looked this tires

could you give me opinions?

i like the tires "fat" becouse of the stetic factor

so you guy say that the conversion of the tire size from mm to inches is direct?

100 mm --> 3.94 in?

Comment

Don't worry, your "limited" English is better than some of the Americans on here.

Yes, conversion is pretty much linear, but the aspect ratio of the tires has changed.
                  With the older (inch-sized) tires, they were as tall from the bead to the outside of the tread as they were wide across the sidewalls. The height of the tire (bead to tread) was 100% of the width.

With the newer tires (usually metric-sized), they are still measured across the sidewalls, but they are only 90% as high from bead to tread.

I am guessing that "stetic" means "aesthetic" or "visual". In other words, you like the way they look.
                  Sorry to say, but if you like "fat" tires, you will have to get wheels that are much wider to properly support them, but then you will probably be running into clearance issues on the swingarm, too.

Although fat tires might give the illusion of more rubber on the road, if you pinch them on to the stock rims, they will be pinched into a tighter radius, actually giving you less rubber on the road. Besides, if you really know how to ride the bike, newer skinny tires will out-perform most of the other riders on the road. When you stop and the other riders finally catch up to you, you will appear to be a hero when they point to your skinny tires and say "you were riding like that on those???"

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks Steve

Currently im running 130/70 18 rear and 300x18 on front, but are like "racing" tires, they don't match with the old school look.

to make it clear 100/90 18 is wider than 350x18?

i would like to see some pictures of bikes with:

100/90 18
                    350x18

can someone find some photos for me?
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2014, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Actual old racers had really skinny tires, like 3.00 front and 3.50 rear

You must be talking about Brat style or some such custom look

Those bikes handle like ****, I'd never ride one again
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Mailo View Post
                        ... to make it clear 100/90 18 is wider than 350x18?
                        Go back, look in post #6. You will see that a 3.50 tire is 88.9 mm wide, so yes, 100 mm is wider than 89 mm.

Sorry, don't have any pictures, but the difference between those tires and the stock tires is so small, it will not show in generic pictures. You can look up that model at Suzukicycles.org. Look in the left column for the GS series, then scroll down to look for your particular model.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Go back, look in post #6. You will see that a 3.50 tire is 88.9 mm wide, so yes, 100 mm is wider than 89 mm.

Sorry, don't have any pictures, but the difference between those tires and the stock tires is so small, it will not show in generic pictures. You can look up that model at Suzukicycles.org. Look in the left column for the GS series, then scroll down to look for your particular model.

Steve, the front tire of the motorcycle of this picture is 400x18 that according you guys its "simillar" to 100/90 18

and they look a looot wider than the stock, not only look wider than the stock rear (350x18)

Comment

Yes, that just might be a 4.00, but it's also apparently mounted on a stock (1.60) rim, which is waaayyy too small.

It looks larger on the front because you can see so much of it. It is not hidden like the back wheel.

If you want fat tires, put them on. When you decide you don't like how they handle, put the proper size on.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Yes, that just might be a 4.00, but it's also apparently mounted on a stock (1.60) rim, which is waaayyy too small.

It looks larger on the front because you can see so much of it. It is not hidden like the back wheel.

If you want fat tires, put them on. When you decide you don't like how they handle, put the proper size on.

Thanks for your help Steve, im undecided of which size buy because im buying them on the web so i can't see them phisically and figure which one i want

Comment

Working...
                              X