Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS1000S Front Master Cylinder Rebuild

Hi there from a newbie,

I'm currently overhauling a 1979 front master cylinder (the round reservoir type). I've bought a genuine Suzuki kit for it.

Despite all attempts (none that involve a hammer at this stage!), I can't get the new piston and seal into the bore of the master cylinder - the larger diameter of the seal catches on the leading edge of the bore and stops it dead. I've tried everything I can think of. The Suzuki workshop manual is of no use.

This task must have been done thousands of times, and I'm sure someone here could provide some advice.

I tried to insert several photos, but I'm only allowed to post 1. This might be a slow exercise due to my lack of familiarity with the posting procedure.

Any and all help will be gratefully received.
    Attached Files
    2016 BMW F700GS - everyday ride
    1979 GS1000SN - resto project, recently gone
    1987 Honda GB400TT - latest resto project

What fluid did you place on that cup that made it swell like that?

Comment

Are you using an aftermarket seal kit or OEM?
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
        What fluid did you place on that cup that made it swell like that?
        Looks to me like it was dipped in parts cleaner.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          Looks to me like it was dipped in parts cleaner.
          Something petroleum based no doubt. It is ruined. Perhaps he could save the old cup if it also has not been ruined?

Comment

All,

It is a genuine Suzuki overhaul kit.
            The seal is the same size now (in the photo) as when it was first fitted.
            It has not seen any petroleum based products or parts cleaner.
            The only fluid it has been in contact with is brake fluid, as per the warning in the workshop manual.

Comment

If you are sure that the kit is the correct part number for your specific bike model, try using your fingers to gently press the lip end of the seal into the m/cyl bore. You need to "help" the seal into the chamfered edge of the m/cyl. If that does not work, cut a piece of plastic from a soft drink bottle or similar plastic container, wrap it around the seal, and tighten a hose clamp around the outside of the plastic just enough to compress the seal so that it slips into the m/cyl bore. Use a little brake fluid to lubricate the seal and plastic.
              1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Here's a random thought.....is there only one version of the "round reservoir" type of master cylinder? or could there be different specs (I'm thinking of internal bore diameter here) depending on single or twin disc model?

The master cylinder I'm restoring wasn't fitted to the bike when I bought it - it was in a bucket of old bits that came as part of the deal. It may have come from any other GS model from the round reservoir era.

In the meantime I'll confirm with the vendor that the overhaul kit is the correct one.

Comment

That's pretty good for "random" thinking. Mine goto food and sex and did I oil my chain? I don't know per the Round type, but it is generally so...as in MC piston area is ratio to Caliper Piston(s)area to get the right "travel" in the lever.
                  You could check the parts fiches until someone who knows chimes in.
                  Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

We offer best Suzuki motorcycle parts for some of the famous models like Suzuki GS550, Suzuki intruder 800 Suzuki GSXR 1000, Suzuki A100, Suzuki Katana etc.

Comment

There are several versions of the early round reservoir master cylinders. The reservoirs and corresponding O-rings to seal them are different dimensions to begin with. (three different sizes that I know of so far)
                    Check the part numbers/dimensions for the internal kits and I am guessing that they are different as well.

Comment

I went looking on the master cylinder casting for a part number. There isn't one, but there is "5/8" cast into the underside of the unit. Guessing that this might be the bore diameter, I checked the OEM workshop manual, and Bingo!!, the nominal bore is listed as 0.625". This means I do have the correct master cylinder for the bike. Now to source the correct cup, or salvage the crusty old cup that was originally removed.

Comment

Working...
                      X