Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best handling front tire for a heavy bike (1100GK)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best handling front tire for a heavy bike (1100GK)?

Over this winter, I'll be going the usual maintenance on my GK (valves, carb synch, replace the clutch plates, adjust the head bearings, etc.). But, I am also finally installing the Salty Monk brake upgrade & going to a 17" rear wheel.

With those much better brakes, I want to put on a the best tire I can to take advantage of them. I also like secure, confident handling, even in the rain. I'm after consistant performance, not great in the dry & crappy in the rain, or great braking in the rain but does't turn in when it's dry.

So, I am looking for some guidance on my front tire pick. However, I also don't want a tire that'll be gone in a couple thousand miles, although fronts usually last up to twice as long as rears. What ever I get, I'll match up on the back end.

So far, in the 110/90-19 size I need, I've narrowed it down to the michelin commander II, pirelli night dragon & the metzler lasertec or marathon 880.

What's eveyone's thoughts & experiences on heavy bike best handling & stopping (even in the wet) front tires?

This is the tire that I run on the front of three of my bigger GS bikes: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ter-front-tire
    If you can go radial ply on both ends, there are a few of those available in that size also.

Comment

Metzeler ME 888 Marathon Ultra 100/80-19 57-H Bias may be an option for you.

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tube...otorcycle-tire

Some additional info, I have run Metzeler's (the 880's) and they do last. I ran the Pirelli's; got about 3,000 miles from them...best handling tires tires I ever put on the bike, shortest lifetime as well.

Comment

I have the Michelin Commander II on my GS850GL - which is perhaps not considered a really heavy bike (until I get on it).
        I choose these because they were designed by Michelin for Harley heavy cruisers with a dual compound that is harder in the center for straight up longevity and softer on the outer edges for handling. - So far on mine I have only about 3500 miles - but they look really good - like new and I expect a long life from them.

I am sensitive to tires on heavy bikes as my other bikes are Goldwings (truly heavy bikes) and my experience in the past with Michelins has been very good on those as well..

Just my 2¢

Comment

I am surprised that Michelin doesn't make a commander ll in 130/90-16 for the rear!

Comment

I am surprised that Michelin doesn't make a commander ll in 130/90-16 for the rear!

Comment

Originally posted by LarryJ View Post
              ...They do....

https://www.jakewilson.com/p/3791/34...otorcycle-Tire

Comment

You could throw the Continental TKV 11 into the mix. I fitted a set last year , 12, on the back. Coming up on 7000 miles and the back is getting near the end, front about half or less. We do a lot of 2 up and we're not as light as we were. No complaints in any department.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I just realized that the MT/90-16 is a 130/90-16 equivalent. So, Commander ll's are available!

Comment

I'm going to stick with the 16" rear wheel. So, I've focused on Avon Cobras. I think they'll handle well, deal with rain just fine & last pretty well too.

Comment

Working...
                    X