Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82 GS450L Shinko 130/80/16 will it fit ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS450L Shinko 130/80/16 will it fit ????

I picked up a 82 GS450 L and wondered if any one had mounted the 712 Shinko 130/80/16 . Shinko fitment info states 5.08 in. width looks very tight, will not be running chain guard . I would be happy to run some thing narrower but not much out there that narrow in a 16. Factory states 130 to have ben the stock size back in 82 but these newer tires look to run a bit wider now days . I have Shinko 712 on my 73 TX650 Yamaha and had to be carful on the sizing choices to be sure they did not rub on the fenders.
    Would appreciate any one that had experience with this fit might let me know if it will work.

Thanks

There is plenty of choice out there, that is a rather common size for Ls.

On our 650L and 850L, we have Shiko 230 Tour Masters in 130/90-16.

The fiche I looked at shows the stock size for your bike as a 4.60, which translates to a 120, but there are choices there, too.

Remember, ... wider is not necessarily better, when motorcycle tires are concerned.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I would choose the 120/90-16 to closely match the original 4.60-16 tire. Duro makes a decent tire in that size for under $70. I would not buy a Kenda even though they also have a $70 rear in that size. I've used both and the Duro is fine but not the Kenda.
      Fatter is not better especially on a narrow rim and very little tire width clearance between the swingarm on that model bike.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the Duro tire had not found that one .Shinko makes a 120/80/16 but is sold as a front tire , it has what appears to be a rain grove on the center line , I e-mailed them about the idea of running it as a rear, no response after 48hrs. I agree fully wider is not better and will likely end up with the 120 , like the Shinko s I am running on my 73 TX650 (100/90/19 front 110/90/18 rear) and was trying to use the Shinko s on my GS450 also.

Thanks for taking the time to reply .

Comment

The Duro is either front or rear usage but you should check the mounting arrow for proper direction when mounting. Could be different whether front use or rear. Shinko is probably going to tell you no because of tread design and depth differences. If they don't respond I would take that as a "no" if you were to have any future issues. I like Shinko better but you have to fit the proper tire.

Comment

Yes after further research fronts are not to be run on the rear , guess I am down to the Duro 120 as my only choice. Many years ago it was done but tires have changed a great deal since the 60's and 70's .

Thanks

Comment

There's also an excellent 120/90-16 made by IRC:

I would agree that it would be best to avoid the Kenda.

I'm not sure why you were looking for a 120/80-16 or maybe that was just a typo. A 120/90-16 would be closest to the correct size and a 130/90-16, of course, is a bit bigger but very common. Not 100% sure the 130/90-16 would fit, though.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The 120 /80/16 was the Front tire from Shinko , agreed I would rather have the 90 series ( taller ) tire . Have decided on the Duro 120/90/16. That tire and a Shinko front for $119.15 to the door. I wanted two Shinko's but the 130 measuring 5.08 according to Shinko would be tight if it worked at all?

Thanks for all the help here !

Comment

I went with the Duro 120/90/16 . It works well , 3/16 '' on the torque arm side and 3/8'' between the chain and tire .

Thanks for the recommendations on tires .

Comment

Working...
                  X