Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 750t front tire sticking

Hi all,

Ive been having a problem with my front tire locking up occasionally. When I bought the bike it had new pads put on and i noticed when pushing it it really defined the T for "tank". i could barely move it. i put it on the stand and found the front tire to be locked up, so i took off the caliper and squeezed it in with a c-clamp and it was better, After riding it for a bit the rotor wasnt getting hot and it freed up, but after letting it sit it stuck again. so i took of the caliper and checked the pads and one side was noticeably worn more than the other, indicating the caliper was sticking. so i squeezed it in again and checked the pins but they move freely and the boots arent ripped. I put it on and i can spin the tire close to a full rotation before stopping. Should it be spinning freely?

Do you think there is a problem internally in the caliper causing it not to be going back in fully?

I would take the caliper off and pull the piston. There are areas inside the well that crud will settle in and never get flushed out. Also, youll remove the rubber seal and notice the groove the seal sets in is full of oxidation and built up chalky grey stuff. This builds up and presses the seal tighter and tighter against the piston till it stops moving.

Clean the brown crud out, clean off the seal with some light rubbing of a finger nail and some fantastik or other household cleaner, and get the groove as clean as you can.

Then clean out the master cylinder and be sure the tiny tiny return hole is open.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Clean up the rear system too.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

"Do you think there is a problem internally in the caliper causing it not to be going back in fully?"

Oh yeah, the single piston needs to push on both sides about evenly and then release - yours is probably binding from corrosion/damage :time to rebuild as this is highly dangerous and not something to ignore or hope will go away before you do!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Not only that, but heat build up can instantly lock a wheel...and at speed thats not where you ever want to be!!!!!

Thats why i said service the rear system as well.

Comment

Thank for the info. I'll go take a look in a little while and let you know the problem. The rear system is a drum and I haven't had any problems with it

Comment

I am not all knowing what every bike has and doesnt, so I just included the warning. Still check everything out back over too for your piece of mind.

Comment

The entire system should be torn down and cleaned out. The caliper is full of crud so that means the line is too, and maybe even the master. Replace the parts that are in need and replace the brake line. This is serious stuff. Don't shortcut the maintenance.

Please check the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature for more details of what to look out for.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I loosened the banjo bolt and the wheel freed up so it must be gunked up. I'll take it apart soon and replace the brake line

Comment

if the compensating port in the master cylinder is plugged the brake will apply as you as you ride.
                    The compensating port is there to allow fluid to expand into the master cylinder reservoir as it heats up in the caliper. When the port is plugged the brakes start to apply instead, creating more heat, more expansion, eventually the wheel will lock.
                    To confirm this, crack the bleeder and the caliper will release its grip on the rotor. You can see the port in the bottom of the reservoir, right in front of the fill port, the hole is tiny,(wire brush whisker).
                    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

So now you got an idea as to how gunked up your master cylinder is...right????? So just think how much crap is inside the caliper too!! Do the ENTIRE system repair as was suggested by myself and Ed.
                      Last edited by chuck hahn; 12-21-2014, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Adventures with Single Disc Front Brake GS750TZ

Hey "T" owner, any pics of your bike available?

I've done a front caliper/master cylinder/braided line install on my "T" and am I glad I did. There was a lot of gunky build-up in there...and I was riding it for almost a year before I did the change. Never had issues like you discuss but I'm guessing your bike needs immediate attention.

The rear drums weren't much of an issue but check them just the same. I bought new shoes before I inspected the ones I intended to change...they had plenty of thickness left in them (I had Bill inspect them too).

I've got pics of my adventure with the front brakes...wait, you'll have to review the thread but I'll get you to the post #.

Start at Post #52.

Ed

EDIT: Just reviewed your post with pics...Nice "T". Why the heck would you go cross-country without doing a complete eval of your "T"? [Curious]

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 12-21-2014, 09:33 PM.
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

In case you missed it, Regarding this and your other T questions, my shop book and owners manual is here. http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Keep the questions coming.
                          Hondas
                          '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                          Suzuki
                          '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                          Kaw
                          '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                            Hey "T" owner, any pics of your bike available?

I've done a front caliper/master cylinder/braided line install on my "T" and am I glad I did. There was a lot of gunky build-up in there...and I was riding it for almost a year before I did the change. Never had issues like you discuss but I'm guessing your bike needs immediate attention.

The rear drums weren't much of an issue but check them just the same. I bought new shoes before I inspected the ones I intended to change...they had plenty of thickness left in them (I had Bill inspect them too).

I've got pics of my adventure with the front brakes...wait, you'll have to review the thread but I'll get you to the post #.

Start at Post #52.

Ed

EDIT: Just reviewed your post with pics...Nice "T". Why the heck would you go cross-country without doing a complete eval of your "T"? [Curious]

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ge-rack-advice
                            Wow that cleaned up real nice! To give a little more background, I'm graduating college this coming May and have wanted to take a trip for some time. I'm planning on moving out west, hopefully Colorado if all goes well. But before I do that and get settled down with a job, my good friend came up with the idea of a motorcycle tour. I immediately jumped on board because i've always wanted a bike anyway and the thought of seeing the country on the back of a bike couldn't be any more perfect. We then enlisted another friend who is much more knowledgeable of motorcycles and so it became a trio.... So I managed to scrape up enough money to buy the bike in October, got my permit and got some riding in before the snow fell. Now comes the big task of planning this whole thing and getting the bike prept for spring. It's a bit ambitious but crazier things have been done and we are far from shy of adventures. So any help, tips, advice, support would be immensely appreciated. As none of us have any experience with touring.

Comment

Speaking of cross-country type adventures on a T, look up some of Tank's threads on this forum. No one has done more impossible stuff on one of those. Simply amazing.
                              Perhaps you could PM or E-mail Tank as he is the resident T expert. If you want to see the finest example of a T, search for some of Spyder's threads.

Comment

Working...
                              X