Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550L - Hardtail, or keep it soft?

Hey all,

I got a GS550L a few months back. Love the bike, love the ride. It's a little high for me though, and I'd like to either lower it a bit, or commit to turning it into a makeshift hard tail with steel bars in place of the rear struts (and lowering the forks, too). Also, getting rid of the stock (huge, tiered) seat, and add a bobber pan with springs.

The bike is pretty stock, right now. I've seen some mean looking GS's out there, and honestly, that's kinda what I'm going for. I know the transition will make the handling worse, the ride less comfortable, yada-yada... Is riding a hard tail really that much different/bad?

Thoughts?

Thanks a million guys!

Evan

IMG_20141019_172813.jpgP.S. I live in the mitten, where the roads are junk, Lol

Your PS says it all. If you treasure your back keep the suspension and seek a way to lower it a bit. Many have good results trimming the seat foam at the sides, giving their legs a straighter shot at the ground.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Hardtails are for soft brains.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

That's a VERY clean looking 550L. You are probably going to hear a lot of either "Do what you like, it's your bike" or "What? Are you crazy? Don't destroy a nice bike like that" reactions. No matter what you do, I wouldn't go hard tail. It really does screw up the ride and a major PITA (literally) on bad roads.

Good luck and post pictures. It may not be my style bike but it gives us something to see.
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I guess I'm in the "sell that one to someone looking for a clean stock one, and buy a rattier one to mod." camp. But it is your bike and your money.

Definitely try to get a ride on someone else's hardtail before committing to that path, I think you'll get off it going, "Oh HELL no."
          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Get some riding boots with taller heels.

Comment

Your bike, your choice, but my 2 cents - don't go hard tail, that's one clean L and hard tails, even with spring seats are rough on the back side. Unless it's an old school original hard tail, I don't personally like the look.

I'd lower it, and cut down the seat foam, getting rid of that silly stepped seat or even consider customer rear sets and pedals, but that's me.
              ----------------------------------------------------------------
              2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                Hardtails are for soft brains.
                This^^^

Buy a nice clean GS. Hack it up with a hard tail. Nice to ride bike is not nice to ride anymore. Slap it on craigslist and pass it off at a loss. Bike is in the scrap heap within the year.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                  That's a VERY clean looking 550L. You are probably going to hear a lot of either "Do what you like, it's your bike" or "What? Are you crazy? Don't destroy a nice bike like that" reactions. No matter what you do, I wouldn't go hard tail. It really does screw up the ride and a major PITA (literally) on bad roads.

Good luck and post pictures. It may not be my style bike but it gives us something to see.

I've been hearing a lot of that! Lol. Seems like the consensus is to keep it soft. Is it possible to replace the springs in the rear for a lower ride? I also want to ditch the seat for something solo/lower.

Thanks guys!

Comment

If you choose a hardtail and bobber mods also plan on a few more things:

1. Cut your rides shorter
                    2. Choose only smoother roads
                    3. Extra usage of Advil
                    4. Negating any thoughts of the advantages of having a rear suspension in the twisties
                    5. Reduce your resale value by maybe 40%

It's your bike, so it's your mistake if you want to do it.

PS...I had a Triumph hardtail in my youth and look back wondering how I let style overshadow common sense.
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-29-2014, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      This^^^

Buy a nice clean GS. Hack it up with a hard tail. Nice to ride bike is not nice to ride anymore. Slap it on craigslist and pass it off at a loss. Bike is in the scrap heap within the year.
                      I was waiting for this kind of answer. Yeesh.

"Keepin' it soft, boss."

Comment

Originally posted by EvMac View Post

"Keepin' it soft, boss."
                        You're hearing from the gurus there. That's the point of joining and asking questions, no?
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by EvMac View Post

"Keepin' it soft, boss."
                          They why ask a question if you don't want the answer. I warned you....
                          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Well as another old curmudgeon I will also strongly recommend you do not hard tail that little beauty. Having experienced a serious and long lasting sciatic injury from sitting on a board hard "street tracker" seat I built I would only think a hard tail would be much worse and probably more dangerous.

Riding is meant to be a pleasant and relaxing activity not a ticket to permanent injury, such as can be brought on by that kind of "mod".

As suggested, you can gain some leg length by having the seat shaved or perhaps even by putting on shorter shocks. Going this route would be the better way to solve your issue while not opening up the potential for injury or ruining an otherwise decent ride.

But as also mentioned, it is your ride.

Comment

Hard to see on your bike but you can usually pull the fork tubes up in the triple clamps to lower the bike a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X