No announcement yet.

GS550L - Hardtail, or keep it soft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the trouble that vehicle manufacturers go to put suspension on in order to make their products safe, preserve the lives of their occupants, the machines, plus parts from wearing out, isn't it strange that manufacturers haven't spied a gap in the market, saved themselves a pile of cash and made a fortune filling it by producing suspension less vehicles.
    Makes one want to weep that there are makers and designers devoting their lives to build aftermarket items like springs that can be bought to fill any requirement, loading, terrain, speed and comfort, bearings, shock absorbers able to be tuned to suit almost every variable required real, or imagined.
    Makes anyone wonder why John Dunlop ever even bothered.

Not really aimed at anyone just seen this sort of question a few times.

That is a very nice bike by the way.
    Last edited by tatu; 12-29-2014, 05:46 PM.
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

The bike can be lowered a bit by sliding the fork tubes up in the clamps a bit, and you can get lower shocks for the rear.

Just did that for my wife's bike and lowered the bike about 1.5 inches at the seat.

Highly-recommended that you replace the fork springs to control wheel movement properly. Fork springs are made by Sonic and Progressive. The owner of Sonic is a member here (Rich Desmond). The best price on Progressive springs is at Z1 Enterprises, two of the owners of that fine establishment are also members here. Rear shocks come in many 'flavors', one of the better, and affordable, options is Hagon. Call Dave Quinn, he will guide you through the choices to get what you need.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

hardtail that muther!
        your ignitor will love it......

well crap!
        i thought you had an 83-86 model.
        leave it stock then
        Last edited by blowerbike; 12-30-2014, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          You're hearing from the gurus there. That's the point of joining and asking questions, no?
          Absolutely! A friend of mine recommended this forum, for reasons of "These guys on here are the best". I respect all your input, and appreciate it. I'm relatively new to this whole game, and maybe I'm just dreaming big by wanting to chop this thing apart. Thanks for bringing me down to earth fella's!

I think I'll perform a seat adjustment, and look into some smaller shocks in back, while lowering the front a bit. I really do dig the ride and feel of this bike. (Reevaluating my choices a bit) It'd be a shame to screw it up, and regret it later.

Again, thank you all for your time.

Evan

Comment

Cheers to a good plan.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
            X