Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front fork air pressure cap stuck

Hi all,

I ran into a slight problem today when checking my front fork air pressure. When unscrewing the cap to check the pressure, the entire stem came out with it. This happened to both of them. I was trying to find a couple nuts that fit on the threads to remove the cap that way but they look like special threads, maybe plumbing threads. Before I go and buy some nuts, do you know of any easy way to get it off without ruining the threads?

Thanks

air pressure nut.jpg

Year and exact model might help.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      Year and exact model might help.
      Good call haha. It's an 82 gs750t. I've never taken them off. I bought it this last October and the previous owner must have wrenched them on too tight. It seems like a design flaw IMHO. Unless I'm missing something.

Comment

Once you get your plumbing situation sorted out, your best bet will be to replace the stock springs with new ones from Progressive or Sonic, then you won't have to worry about checking air pressure, as you won't need any.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Wrap the threads with a piece of leather or rubber to protect the threads and then grip with pliers. remove cap.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Like Chuck said but add some penetrating oil down in there. The cap takes a 12mm wrench if I remember correctly and beside the threads, the only thing holding it tight should be the rubber seal on top.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Got them off today pretty easy with a rubber boot and some elbow grease.

Comment

Working...
              X