GS300 out of mothballs. Front swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS300 out of mothballs. Front swap?

Hey guys, I have an 82 GS300 I am going to revive soon to ride just for giggles and good gas mileage.. It's in really good shape physically for its age. However, I do not like the atrocious (and ugly) drum brakes on the front. I'd like to swap it out with a disc unit. Should I be able to swap in two front forks from a 400 or a 450? Or do I need the whole tree unit? The 450 looks like virtually the same bike. I do have an 82 650 tree unit lying about with a caliper still on it...I am certain that has larger forks, but could I swap that whole unit on? Course I know I need a wheel as well....what size would be ok? Thanks in advance!

Easiest thing to do is swap an entire front end (wheel, forks, tree, etc). IIRC the 450 has 33mm legs and the 650 would have 35mm legs.

Comment

That's good info. Would the 650 tree still fit though on that frame? Since I already have them that would keep my cost down. I don't want to pump a ton of money in this old bike since it is small displacement. Thank you!

Comment

I haven't looked, but check the steering stem bearings between the two models. Good chance they use the same bearings, so it would be a pretty direct swap (steering stops might be different on the lower trees though).

Comment

I'm going to look but not feeling confident on the 650. Parts fiche shows different part numbers for the bearings so maybe...maybe not. However, I did find this video which although it is just for showing a fork seal replacement, it does show a disc brake front on a GS 300. I'm guessing that is a 450 front.

well it was kind of a nightmare being that the bike is 30 years old now, but its done and shes not leaking any more so thats all that matters, an oil change ...

Comment

Originally posted by James750tz View Post
            I'm going to look but not feeling confident on the 650. Parts fiche shows different part numbers for the bearings so maybe...maybe not. However, I did find this video which although it is just for showing a fork seal replacement, it does show a disc brake front on a GS 300. I'm guessing that is a 450 front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c03wIKpF7gs
            I just pulled out the old parts I have. Definitely larger 32mm forks. Overall length is slightly longer. I think the bearings are different. If the shaft is the same outside that the bearing rides on I might could use it...How does that lower bearing come off?

Comment

Here is what I got...Single disk unit. Any idea what I came from? I thought it was from a 82 GS650G but that is a dual disk unit.
              Attached Files

Comment

One more shot. Triple Tree
                Attached Files

Comment

Maybe from a 550L? I really don't know - that leading axle mount is from an L model though.

Allballs has a thing on their site to help with front end conversions. Might be worth a look.

Comment

Working...
                  X