Rear Suspention Lug repair GS750.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Suspention Lug repair GS750.

To Repair Rear suspension lugs Manufacture or get a local Engineering shop manufacture New Lugs and make a drill bush to slide over the lug pin.
    Take measurements from the rear side of original lug pin ( from inner side of frame) . Note the pins may be slightly different lengths.

P1010441.jpg

The drill bush will need to have the Diameter of original suspension lug at one end and a smaller diameter at the other.
    Cut off the damaged Thread portion slide over the drill bush over the lug Drill out original lug all the way through the frame.
    The Hole you have just drilled will make act as a pilot hole to keep the new hole in the correct position.
    Now remove drill bush and cut off old lug. Drill out the hole in frame to the size ready to use a reamer to finally size the hole. ( to suit Lug Pin diameter.)
    Ream out the hole in the frame.

You will need to use a small grinder such as a Dremel to make the rear of the frame flat to the head of the new pin. coat pin with a sealant Loctite bearing fit will do nicely Tap in the new pin .This will not only seal the area and prevent Rust but will lock in pin and stop it rotating. ( you tack weld if you prefer.)

I can send the Full set of Photos by request as unable to load them all up here.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-13-2015, 07:10 AM.

Originally posted by fishefireblade View Post
    To Repair Rear suspension lugs Manufacture or get a local Engineering shop manufacture New Lugs and make a drill bush to slide over the lug pin.
    Take measurements from the rear side of original lug pin ( from inner side of frame) . Note the pins may be slightly different lengths.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37856[/ATTACH]

The drill bush will need to have the Diameter of original suspension lug at one end and a smaller diameter at the other.
    Cut off the damaged Thread portion slide over the drill bush over the lug Drill out original lug all the way through the frame.
    The Hole you have just drilled will make act as a pilot hole to keep the new hole in the correct position.
    Now remove drill bush and cut off old lug. Drill out the hole in frame to the size ready to use a reamer to finally size the hole. ( to suit Lug Pin diameter.)
    Ream out the hole in the frame.

You will need to use a small grinder such as a Dremel to make the rear of the frame flat to the head of the new pin. coat pin with a sealant Loctite bearing fit will do nicely Tap in the new pin .This will not only seal the area and prevent Rust but will lock in pin and stop it rotating. ( you tack weld if you prefer.)

I can send the Full set of Photos by request as unable to load them all up here.
    Those are the top shock mounts right? Mine need to be replaced since they stripped out some time ago. I was able to rethread them for the time being, though would should eventually replace them with something much strong then the pot metal they originally used.
    Last edited by mrbill5491; 01-13-2015, 12:15 PM.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I believe there is a shoulder bolt of the right dimension - you probably don't even have to weld it, you should be able to get a open ended wrench to the back of it...
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        I believe there is a shoulder bolt of the right dimension - you probably don't even have to weld it, you should be able to get a open ended wrench to the back of it...
        Nope no shoulder on mine, looks to be welded in too. Looks like the one in the pic fishfireblade posted, though with a weld on it. Main reason I haven't really tried repairing it. My threads are still holding for now, though really really needs fixing at sometime. Guess that was the only thing I didn't do in my rehab of the bike. The swing arm pivot bushings was a big enough nasty f**k up on my part at the time lol.
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

P1010646.JPG Drill bush fitted

Comment

Originally posted by fishefireblade View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]37876[/ATTACH] Drill bush fitted
            Umm pic is a bit small.
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38004[/ATTACH]all finished ready for spring

Comment

Working...
              X