No announcement yet.

So I broke this, what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My concern would be what is going to happen in the future at the bottom of that crack. From a position of ignorance I am going to say that it can only get worse and start walking further down into the fork. By the time I found someone who actually knew what they were talking about and showed me how to machine that crack out I would have found a used part.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by turbo6justin View Post
      I don't know, my impulse to do everything correctly and my desire to save a few dollars and time are clashing.
      We've all been there, and I know the feeling but if you have the time (can't ride where I live right now so my bikes are torn apart) and the money, don't band-aid it, unless you deem it purely cosmetic, you're the only one who will even know it's there, but if it starts leaking down the road, you'll likely wish you'd done it right the first time... Just my thoughts on it.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
        My concern would be what is going to happen in the future at the bottom of that crack. From a position of ignorance I am going to say that it can only get worse and start walking further down into the fork. By the time I found someone who actually knew what they were talking about and showed me how to machine that crack out I would have found a used part.
        Agreed . I would worry about it all the time - even if it was fine...
        Get a new unbroken part and buy peace of mind ..

Comment

Just to close this up I did end up finding a lower on ebay and replaced it. Had a hell of a time getting the oil lock piece out of the replacement piece but it is all back together now and the paint is drying.

Onto the next thing...

Comment

Originally posted by turbo6justin View Post
            Just to close this up I did end up finding a lower on ebay and replaced it. Had a hell of a time getting the oil lock piece out of the replacement piece but it is all back together now and the paint is drying.

Onto the next thing...
            Good move. You have to draw a line somewhere.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
            X