Fork oil seal orientation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork oil seal orientation

Just to be sure before installing the new seals - the side marked top faces up and is adjacent to the washer and clip and the bottom side with compression spring faces down to the oil side? I've looked at the FM and Google, apparently that piece of information is so obvious it isn't notable.

1979 GS1000
    1981 GL500 Interstate

I'm due for a fork seal rebuild on my "T". Thanks for the insight.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Not sure if you're asking for an answer....but if you are then yes - the orientation as per your pictures is correct.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Thanks Hillsy. I was 95% sure that was the orientation of the old ones when removed a few months ago but hoped someone could verify it. It looks like they could fit either way.
        1979 GS1000
        1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

The "U" side of an oil seal faces the oil....or in an application where there is oil on both sides (like inside an old Brit bike gearbox / primary) the "U" side faces the side with the higher oil pressure so the seal flares out aiding the sealing process.

Also, it's a damn side easier to drift the seal into the fork leg by hitting the flat side
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Yup, the tiny spring that goes around in a circle - that's the bottom side.

Comment

another way to answer the question: The printing on the seal is always "up".

Comment

Working...
              X