81 gs 750 front fork upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs 750 front fork upgrade

I am building a 81 gs750 into a cafe and want to put asome better front forks on it but am not sure what fits. I was thinking 80s gsxr forks if they fit. Any info on what works would be nice. Thank you for reading.

Anything Suzuki will fit at the steering stem (GSXR, Bandit etc) but you'll need to mess with steerer stops ignition plate etc. Also if you use the original wheels you'll need to space the out, change bearings etc.

There is no 100% bolt on swap..
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Right on. I don't mind the tinkering with the stops and wheels. just wanted info if there was a limit on what would fit. Thank you.

Comment

GSXR 1100 RSU are the longest other than Bandit. This subject has been covered a lot here... Good luck
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Careful... Its a slippery slope. You change the forks, then you will want to upgrade the shocks. Then you will need to replace or brace the swingarm. Then you will need to gusset the frame.

Comment

So would rebuilding/refurbishing the existing front end be a safer bet? I am not opposed to it just not well versed in this part of bikes this is my second bike and first one is an gs850 that is mostly stockish. I have been reading a bt since my post and now am trying to figure out how good the forks on the 750 are for cafe bikes. Which is my desired outcome for the 750.

Comment

Yes. For a street bike, ridden sanely (7/10ths), stock forks in good condition with the springs and damping dialed in are perfectly fine. Putting late(er) model "upside-down" forks on an old bike is just done for "supa'bike" looks. It makes no difference unless you are on a race track, and even then, the rest of the bike behind the fancy forks is going to to slow you down like they weren't even there.

Comment

I upgraded my 80 GS750E forks (35mm) with some from a 80/81 GS1100E (37mm), direct bolt on. Axle, triple trees everything. One thing though, you will need the headlite housing bracket from the 1100 as well. I did rebuild them first new seals, orings, slider bushings and installed the Sonic springs and added a fork brace as well. Works pretty good.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

One word, Emulators.

Comment

Originally posted by head View Post
                    One word, Emulators.
                    And, New springs with Salty Monks Twin-pot brake up-grade.
                    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Working...
                    X