Need help with my 1978 GS1000 brakes! :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with my 1978 GS1000 brakes! :(

I am looking to replace the front caliper because its past being able to be rebuilt unfortunately. Its a 1978 GS1000C with a single left side caliper. Can anyone advise what ebay calipers would work such as a gsxr or similar bike.

It would be greatly appreciated.

I would contact salty_monk about his conversion. Dan is a good guy.
    This is a huge thread but tons of great info.
    EDIT 1/1/2023 - Yes I have a few sets of brackets/spacers/hub spacers left - Price is $104 shipped Priority in the USA. Most other countries tend to be around $125-$130 shipped 1st class package. Newest brackets also allow the new Ninja EX650 Tokico calipers to be fitted as well as SV650 & DL650. Just some pics of the
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The twin pot upgrade is fantastic for these old bike but you can make your bike a stock dual disk as well. Tons more stopping power for sure and all OEM Suzuki. The rim you currently have will accept a rotor on the other side and all you need is a right side fork lower that accepts a caliper an extra brake line and double banjo to go from the spliter under the triple tree. I've got this setup on my own 78' 1000 and it's great.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I as well as I can bet a lot of other members on this site have extra ones around if you want to stay stock or like arz and I did just get a fork with caliper mount like off an 78 GS1000E102_2013.jpg

Comment

Is there any specific caliper I can buy that will properly fit without any modifications to mount.

Comment

If you buy Suzuki parts they will fit without any modifications. Are you going to change to dual front brakes or stick with your single?
            Rob
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Sent to me to share:

Instead of just adding another rotor (you actually would need both as the single disc is larger), you should also go for a pair of '80-'81 G model calipers not only because the pads cover 30% more surface area
              than the early '78-'79 pucks, the calipers are also superior and cheap to find ($50 for a pair) besides bolting right up.

You can increase the braking even more by getting some new GG rated pads to replace the crappy stock ones too.

One of my '78's with those installed...

And another one of my '78's with '83 1100E calipers (also found on '81-82 GS650G's )

Eric
              Last edited by gsrick; 02-09-2015, 02:09 PM. Reason: added photo
              GSRick
              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Probably stay single then do a dual brake later on

Comment

Post an ad up in the 'parts wanted' section and make sure you post what area of the US you're in so people know. You won't have any problem finding what you need.
                  Rob

Comment

Originally posted by ked21 View Post
                    Probably stay single then do a dual brake later on
                    A single isn't as good as duels especially if you plan on doing stoppies, but there are a lot of bikes that only use a single disc.
                    Most cruisers for instance use a single disc and have more weight to stop. I run the stock brake on my '78 1000 and haven't rear ended anyone so far.
                    GSRick
                    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I suggest that you should go for a pair of '80-'81 G model calipers not only because the pads cover 30% more surface area
                      than the early '78-'79 pucks, buy the calipers are also superior and cheaper to find ($50 for a pair) besides bolting right up.
                      You can increase the braking even more by getting some new GG rated pads to replace the crappy stock ones too

Comment

Found this entire front end, whats your thoughts

Comment

In addition to the caliper conversion, if you go dual, you will need to increase the size of the master cylinder. Any one from a dual caliper fitted bike will work.

I would also strongly recommend upgrading the stock tubes to Stainless Steel lines. They make a huge difference to brake feel and response and allow for two finger full on stops. It is the first mod I do to all new to me bikes and a big bang for relatively cheap bucks. A complete set for front and back should run around $100/120.

Many of us use Apex lines from Raymond Chan at Elite auto in Toronto Canada raymond@eliteauto.ca or 416 291 3953. He likely will have the info for the right setup in his system but if not, ship him the existing set and he'll fire them back with the new lines.

Good luck with the mod and let us know how it goes.

Cheers.

Comment

If you're doing the dual disc conversion you will need both lower forks legs as well as both disc's. The single disc bikes use a larger disc and a different caliper mounting point on the fork leg.
                            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Found an entire complete front end from a GS1150, that was quick and easy. Now to decide on what to do with the handlebars. Once I get everything mocked up I'll be taking a trip to the powder coater!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X