Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 GS850 with a sidecar - looking to upgrade front rear and sidecar suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS850 with a sidecar - looking to upgrade front rear and sidecar suspension

So this one is kinda confusing.

I'd like to upgrade the front fork springs, rear shocks/springs and the sidecar shock. But this isn't a normal motorcycle, it's heavy (all the extra framing and sidecar weight) and I'm not entirely sure where most of the extra weight sits.

I'm not sure how to calculate the spring rate on a rig like this. Has anyone gone down this road before? Do I just get the most heavy-duty stuff possible?

Contact Rich at Sonic Springs for the fork springs. Not sure whether they do shocks.

He is also a member here, so you can also send him a PM. Username is RichDesmond.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You want to set up a sidecar. Go to a sidecar person. This road is very well travelled for those in the know. Best modification for the front end is a leading link set up. Makes the beast a lot more enjoyable to ride. Uses rear shocks on the front ! Go figure.

Comment

A sidecar like this...

is probably more suited for a BMW.

You'd want a mini-mini Previa for a GS850

and for a Triumph Triple perhaps a Cooper mini-mini-mini

And I suppose a Harley would be best matched with...I dunno, a DODGE.??

Comment

Nah, BMW and VW are German, you'd want a Ducati for that sidecar!

Or a Suzuki Sidekick (Sidekick Sidecar!?) or Samauri for the GS850?

in all seriousness OP, what info do you have on your sidecar? My daughter has always told me I need to get a sidecar for one of my bikes, that way we could ride 3 up.
          ----------------------------------------------------------------
          2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Working...
          X