Can this shock be serviced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can this shock be serviced?

It is on my new (to me) Suzuki 1981 GS850 with a sidecar.

These shocks are branded Kawasaki, can anyone identify them and can they be serviced?

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like thewozza.

They look like early '80s KZ1100 Spectre shocks.
    Don't know if they can be serviced but they are 30 years old. Might make more sense to replace.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I think you're right Steve. Similar the the units used on the Voyager 1200. they can be serviced as far as an oil change and replacement air valves.
      The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

They're Showa air shocks - marvellous devices, I liberated a pair from a Kwack GT 750 20+ years ago and they provided sterling service until the Killer Pothole put paid to them two years ago. In the meantime I've been looking up rebuilding procedures and there's quite a bit of info. It can be done, relatively easily, but it's far more cost-effective in terms of your time to simply blag a set from a late model Harley (the OEM Showas are taken off new and low-mileage bikes by upgrading owners) and you can find a set on ebay for typically $40. I recently got a pair from an FLTH or something (13" ones) and they're as good, if not better than the previous Showas.
        They were also fitted to Gold Wings back when, and Honda still stock the replacement accordian boots for ~$15 iirc. The seals are a special triple-lipped version, and are hard to find, but a perfectly serviceable two-lipped one can be used much more cheaply anyway.

Google 'rebuild Showa air shocks' and you'll find information.
        Last edited by Grimly; 02-25-2015, 09:05 PM.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
        X