Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABS is it that much of an improvement? What are your real life opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABS is it that much of an improvement? What are your real life opinions?

I know ABS is a must have for new cars but find that it is a bit over rated.
    Is the improvement in MCs that great? I can see where it would be a more significant safety feature on a bike.

Its been around on bikes for over 30 yrs at least it was on BMWs in the mid 80s.

When your bike's front tire is sliding, you're not steering anymore -- and soon enough, you're not vertical anymore. That's an obvious concern. A second concern is the reluctance to lay into the front brake to avoid the first possibility. So, either you're screwed by not using your full braking potential or you're screwed for overusing it a bit.

That's why ABS will be a major concern (for me) in any purchase decision anymore.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I have never come close to skidding the front tire on an MC but then I do not drive on dirty roads or in much wet weather.
      A major MC mag had the writeup on the BMW system of the 80s. They displayed the benefits under varyong conditions by letting test riders use a bike fitted with outriggers to prevent injury.

Cant find the article anywhere but I do recall the stopping on sand was a phenomenal improvement.
      It does nto seem to cost much more as an option anymore.

Comment

I wouldn't buy a new bike without it!

Comment

Yep JR my BMW is the 1st bike I ever had with it. I really like it. Funny though, after riding the beemer for a bit then getting on one of my old GS bikes I have been known to look up the back wheel. The anti-lock spoils you.
          No signature

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LarryJ View Post
              +1 on that.

ABS will be required on bikes over 125cc in the EU from 2016 on.
              The regulatory agencies are expecting this to result in an important improvement in bike safety.

Enhanced ABS systems are starting to become available that include gyros & lean angle sensors.
              Claimed to work much better when cornering.
              Initially only available on a few big $$$ bikes.

Comment

Eventually, ABS will be inevitable. And traction control.

Probably DCTs or automatic transmissions also. Glad I won't live to see that one!
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Yes, I've been riding a bike with ABS since 2011. And as Trevor said, I get on my old bikes and manage to lock up the rear every now and then. In a panic stop it is very common for that to happen, the ABS takes care of that and therefore the bike is much more likely to remain upright. As LarryJ says, "I wouldn't buy a new bike without it". And if traction control is an option, I'd get that too.
                  IBA# 12860
                  Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                  1984 KZ1100R
                  2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                  2011 Concours 1400

Comment

It's great on ice or really super slick surfaces. Otherwise not so much. Some are better than others, but I haven't seen any on motorcycles that were anywhere near as good as on cars. Not even in the same ballpark as those in airplanes. Those really work.

If I were buying a new bike I'd probably look for one without it. The bikes I have with ABS, I usually turn it off in traffic, dirt roads, most anywhere besides really slippery conditions.

With the ABS on, you never really know how much braking it will give you, and sometimes it's none at all.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

A friend of mine bought a new Rockster BMW with ABS back in 2006 and he gave it to me to ride for a bit. He said "take it up to 60mph and just slam on the front brake".

Sure enough, it just stopped without any dramas. Weird, but it sold me on ABS.
                      Current:
                      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

The only personal bike I've had it on was my Triumph. I'd probably classify myself as a hooligan transitioning to calmness for purpose of review. Under normal riding it's been unnoticeable (that means good to me), and I still back the bike in on some overenthusiastic days (engine braking is strong). I can't say for a fact that it's helped anything everyday, I don't feel I'm faster with it, but I do know that I haven't regretted having it after any spooky events. The state down here has been paving some back roads with this crappy pea gravel-like pavement stuff and I've found for my daily riding I'm a little more comfortable going home with the ABS. Not that any of my other bikes are scary or anything, just in case my mind is less sharp after work. One thing of note is that I can't say I've felt mine really "stutter". There have been times that I've known the only reason I'm actually decelerating upright is because of it (a lot of times just goofing off with it), but I didn't feel it in the lever. I can only think of one time I would've absolutely wrecked without it, and I'm glad it offered assistance. I was extremely anti-abs when it was introduced but I think I've grown to like it for 99% of my riding. That's on one particular bike (and a few rear brakes on new units) so I don't know if some are buzzy though. I wouldn't go through the trouble of retrofitting ABS to any bike. I probably wouldn't even care one way or another enough to sell me on a new bike, but If I'm looking at a bike and it happens to have it I'll consider it a minor plus.

Comment

My question is how hard would it be to retrofit abs onto an older gs? I know one component you would need is the abs computer

Comment

Seems you would need the abs computer, hydraulic pump, calipers, rotors, abs rings and sensors. A lot of fabrication on mounts and hydraulic lines. I would imagine it would be quite an undertaking to retrofit it to our GS's. Very risky if not done correctly as well.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Very complex as you would need to adjust or calibrate the computer to match all the various parameters of the bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X