Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABS is it that much of an improvement? What are your real life opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    It's great on ice or really super slick surfaces. Otherwise not so much. Some are better than others, but I haven't seen any on motorcycles that were anywhere near as good as on cars. Not even in the same ballpark as those in airplanes. Those really work.

If I were buying a new bike I'd probably look for one without it. The bikes I have with ABS, I usually turn it off in traffic, dirt roads, most anywhere besides really slippery conditions.

With the ABS on, you never really know how much braking it will give you, and sometimes it's none at all.
    Tom I really don't understand your answer here?? Maybe you know something i don't but everything I have read about ABS and my own experience leads to it being a good idea. Especially for a street bike.

Some testing...about myths

Myth: ABS is dangerous off pavement.

It depends. In severe off-road situations, ABS does not always work very well. However, in most non-pavement environments, ABS-equipped motorcycles allow you to perform a panic stop or stop on slick surfaces with more control than non-ABS-equipped motorcycles.
    An example of this type of scenario would be a sudden stop on a gravel road when a deer darts into your path. In this scenario, you would be able to use both brakes fully and come to a stop with more control on an ABS-equipped motorcycle than a motorcycle without ABS.
    However, in true off-road situations, such as deep sand or very rough terrain, ABS may cause unwanted pressure modulations in the brake system.
    These types of conditions are rampant in off-road situations, such as single-track trail. This is why it’s critical that ABS is optional equipment for dual-sport motorcycles and, when ABS is installed, an override switch is available so the rider can turn the system off when the bike is going to be ridden in true off-road environments.
    Also, don’t forget that ABS is not always working: Unless you are in a wheel lockup situation, the ABS will not modulate the pressure in the braking system.
    Last edited by trevor; 02-16-2015, 10:01 PM.
    No signature

Comment

Cars don't have as many degrees of freedom as bikes. Couple that with bike ABS not even measuring the lean angle.
      So it makes sense that bike ABS isn't anywhere near as good as on cars.

But the latest generation bike ABS has lean angle & gyro sensors -- hopefully this will make a big difference.
      Its now available on a few big $$$ bikes.

Have been thinking about getting a new BMW boxer or Moto Guzzi Griso or perhaps something else.
      Am leaning towards the Grizzo but it doesn't yet have ABS.
      Oddly, the latest BMW R1200R is available with the extra sensors & computer everything, but doesn't use the sensors to provide the latest gen ABS.

Comment

Working...
      X