Cruiser Tire on a street bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruiser Tire on a street bike?

Hi all im looking for a new front tire on my 86 gs550es how would a cruiser tire handle on a street bike im not gonna go through the twisties, do wheelies or any thing like that its just for a little fun and commuting(when i find a new job ). Such as a kenda k671 cruiser tire,their less expensive im on a budget at the moment or i'd be looking for a street bike tire what is everyone else riding on.Im sure anything would be better than the old cracked metzler that is on my bike right now anyone got any opinions?THANKS!!

I'll do something like that on my 1100GK. It uses a touring size 110/901-19 front tire. I'll get either a Michelin commander or a Pirelli night dragon front tire &, then, a 130/90-17 michelin active or Pirelli speed demon for the rear. I'm changing to a 17" rear wheel to lift the rear geometry 0.5" for a little better dynamics, though, too.
    Note that the newer touring tires are much more advanced in handling than they used to be. Idk if that helps or confuses you.

Comment

I am sure that others will be happy to suggest tire brands/styles for your motorcycle. Be aware that mixing types of tires can make for some squirrely handling.

I sure wouldn't be riding on ANY tire that is old and/or cracked. It's your life that you are risking by riding on something that dangerous.

Comment

I have never used a Kenda "Cruiser" tire, but I will never again use one of their "Challenger" tires for anything except keeping the rims off the ground while PUSHING the bike around. If I were looking at buying a bike that had Kendas on it, no matter how new, I would seriously look at another bike or plan on changing the tires FIRST THING.

I don't know if they are available in your size, but for affordable (cheap) tires that work surprisingly well, check out some of the offerings from Shinko. The ones that are available in 19" front sizes are the 230 Tour Master and the 712 Bias Performance.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Being that it has a 16in. front wheel, what i'm thinking is, he is wanting to use a tire that is meant to be used as a rear?
          Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I've probably used 100 Kenda tires in my lifetime on different machines, and I won't use them on the street anymore. I really really want to, they're so cheap. Even went through two sets on the GK (though with their treadwear that probably took two months lol). The last set I bought when I rode the GS regularly was Dunlop Gt501 tires (discontinued I think). The bike must have lost 700 lbs in the process and now no longer wears in a perfect /\ pattern after a few fun roads. If Metzeler had 880s or 888s (cruiser tire) in my size I'd probably use them, but I'm reasonably sure they don't. The things actually cling pretty good on the little Star.

Comment

Working...
            X