Converting shaft to sprocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting shaft to sprocket

Stupid question I know.. but my 81 gs650L had a NEW set of tires on it and I was wondering if it would be possiable to use them on my 79 GS750E since the from tires looks like the wyould be swapable.. is there any way to convert the rear wheel from shaft driven to chain driven?

Again i may be a stupid question but hey.. if you don't ask you'll never know

The short answer is it can't be done.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
      The short answer is it can't be done.
      Thank you so much I'm going to look into a new rear tire.. will the front one swap if they both are twin discs

Comment

If you have new TIRES, you don't have to convert from shaft to chain drive, just put the TIRES on the shafty rims if they are the same size. Fronts should be interchangeable if they are the same size.

Or vise versa. put the tires from the shafty onto the chain driven wheel. Pay close attention to sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by 78550GS View Post
          If you have new TIRES, you don't have to convert from shaft to chain drive, just put the TIRES on the shafty rims if they are the same size. Fronts should be interchangeable if they are the same size.

Or vise versa. put the tires from the shafty onto the chain driven wheel. Pay close attention to sizes.
          Not too sure about the fronts, but the rears won't interchange because the L's all had 16 inch rear wheels.
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
            Not too sure about the fronts, but the rears won't interchange because the L's all had 16 inch rear wheels.
            Just checked both sizes and they are a nogo. Thanks for answering the questions guys

Comment

Working...
            X