Shock travel - GS1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shock travel - GS1100G

I'm considering upgrading my rear shocks. Not only are they starting to leak slightly, I think I need to get some progressive shocks.

I'd like something the same height as stock, but a max of 2-3/4" compression, even when riding 2 up. Any more than 2-3/4" and the tire will be dangerously close to my seat hoop. What do you all recommend? I'm a big dude, 220lbs. I'll be doing most of my riding solo, but occasionally I'll have my wife as well.

Here is the stock shock with the wheel lifted as much as it can go before it hits the hoop. This is where I got the 2-3/4" measurement.

What is the eye center to eye center distance of those ugly shocks? (uncompressed- bike on centerstand)
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

12.5" eye to eye....

Comment

A member with same bike needs to chime in- 12.5 seems short to me, as my 650 has 13.25 (though they are aftermarket). You say you want yo keep same seat height, for appearance or because you are a big dude with short legs?
        to my way of thinking, once the shock spring is fully compressed, there's no travel left-you've bottomed out.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Stock shocks for that bike are 330mm, which is 13". Progressive shocks are nice, Hagon is just as nice, but cheaper.

You want a MAJOR upgrade? Get rid of those Kenda Challenger tires.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You might want to check out KZ750/650 shocks. They have 2.75" travel and are something like 340mm long.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I wouldn't mind a taller shock, to be honest. I might go with a 13" Hagon. The tires will be replaced soon too.

Comment

Call the number on the link that I gave you. Dave will set you up with the proper springs for your anticipated loads and riding style.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

What about these? Buddy of mine has these off of an 04 Sportster... They look a million times better than the air shocks... plus they are longer so they would probably give me the travel needed.

Comment

You could always give them a try, but make sure they fit on the mounts properly, first.

Also keep in mind that a Sportster does not weigh the same as your bike, so the spring and damping rates will be a bit off.

Oh, ... "longer" does not necessarily mean "more travel".

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

I guess I could throw them on and see how they ride.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by gordinho80 View Post
                        What about these? Buddy of mine has these off of an 04 Sportster... They look a million times better than the air shocks... plus they are longer so they would probably give me the travel needed.

Looking at this shock reminds me of my mom's 1967 Ford Ltd , real bouncy suspension- probably came off Harley for a reason. But there a lots of decent Harley take offs in 13 inch range both at dealers and CL.
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                          Looking at this shock reminds me of my mom's 1967 Ford Ltd , real bouncy suspension- probably came off Harley for a reason. But there a lots of decent Harley take offs in 13 inch range both at dealers and CL.
                          Yep - the current air shocks on mine are 13" from a Hardly ( I wave a Finger of Friendship at those who don't like the look of them) and the only thing I had to do was bush the eyes to fit the Suzuki sizes. Of course, a box full of assorted shock eyes would have been handy, but that disappeared long ago. I just used shim steel formed into cylinders - sounds long-winded, but took a few minutes per mount.
                          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                          X