650GL Rear Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650GL Rear Shocks

I'm looking to replace the stock original rear shocks on my '81 650GL. I'm 200lbs and find the original shocks beat the crap out of me over any uneven pavement. I've played with the pre-load but there's little, if any, difference in the settings. I'm looking for advice from anyone who has replaced the shocks on their 650GL. My back will appreciate it!

Cheers!
    K

How much are you looking to spend? There's a wide spectrum of shocks out there from the $100 eBay cheapies to the race-spec $1000+ monstrosities. Lots of threads on shock selection here too.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Adjusting the preload really does NOTHING for ride quality. All it does is change the ride height of the partly-compressed shock.

Are you able to tell what is happening to "beat the crap" out of you? Are they bottoming out, due to lack of spring tension? Are they bottoming out, due to lack of compression damping? Is the damping so stiff that they are simply acting like solid struts and not compressing at all?

As eil mentioned, there is a wide range of products available, what is your budget comfortable with? Or will the comfort of your rear end (and back) trump the budget? Yes, there are $100 eBay specials. Many are under different names, but they all seem to be made by EMGO, the same people that bring you the super-cheap pods that don't work well. These EMGO shocks are super-stiff. Even my son, who is "dimensionally-enhanced" (you would look small, next to him) finds them rather stiff. When two-up, the ride is much better.

We just got some Hagon shocks for my wife's bike last year. It works best to call, they will chat with you to find your weight, the weight of any anticipated passengers and what gear you plan to carry (and how often). They will select the spring rate and damping for you. They cost just over $200.

Progressive Suspension is another popular choice. You can choose your own spring rates or call them and have them help. They cost about $300.

There are many others, these are the most common for general riding around.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Here's mine - works fine on my beat up roads with me at 175 lbs. note the bottom 3 inch is a softer spring that does most of the normal load absorption . They are 13.25 inch units, but maker mark is unreadable. Consider Harley cast offs - some are decent quality and hardly used .
        Attached Files
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Are you able to tell what is happening to "beat the crap" out of you? Are they bottoming out, due to lack of spring tension? Are they bottoming out, due to lack of compression damping? Is the damping so stiff that they are simply acting like solid struts and not compressing at all?
          Probably your last comment - I don't feel like the shocks are absorbing much of the bumps at all. When I hit a bump the back end of the bike seems to buck up and my rear end and back take the load. The situation is better now that I've removed the stock bars and have a more forward-leaning position on the bike, but I still get beat up on less than smooth roads. And after the winter we are having the roads will be awful come spring.

Perhaps I'm asking too much and the ride quality is just the way it is. But if there is a way to take the edge off the bumps I would welcome it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinner View Post
            But if there is a way to take the edge off the bumps I would welcome it.
            See my suggestions in post #3.

Links were provided at no extra charge.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

ikons are another good, not too expensive option, preload and damping adjustment, and rebuildable.
              1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Yep, IKONs are good, too. I managed to find a pair of KONI shocks for my bike. I knew that IKON had patterned themselves after the KONI, but did not know to what extent. Evidently, KONI went out of business and their distributor for Australia bought them out lock, stock and barrel. Everything except the name. So, they rearranged the letters to IKON with KONI's blessings and continue to sell the same legendary shocks. If you have a set of KONI shocks, IKON will be happy to sell you a rebuild kit, as it is the proper kit for the shocks.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                X