80 850gs front end swapped onto 79 850gs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 850gs front end swapped onto 79 850gs

Greetings. Been reading up on front end swaps but haven't been able to narrow it down to my situation. I am considering taking the front end off a 1980 850gs and putting it on my 79 850gs. Would this be a relatively simple swap or would there be too many subtle and not so subtle changes? I am in a time sensitive situation so I posted this question. I will continue reading in the meantime. Thanks for any input.
    Jeff in Windsor.

I think the only real changes were in the carbs as they went from VM to CV from 79 to 80 (I think lol). So far as I am aware the front ends are the same.

Comment

Well, owing both of those, I've been swapping wheels from one to the other for 20 years. Caliper fittings, yokes, etc are the same, but the 79 brakes are rubbish anyway, so you're doing yourself a favour by using the 80 calipers (so long as the 80 calipers are in good order).
      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thank you gentleman. So I am hoping to be able to swap the complete front end at the center bolt of the triple tree or yoke. Maybe include the guages. Caliper is siezed. Brake reservoir is mottled with cracks. Forks are pitted. Would be nice if it could be done easily.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it'll go ok. I've had both apart to do steering head bearings and cannot recall any differences that would be a show-stopper. Check the lock-stops on the frame, but even if that's a problem you can simply re-use the matching yokes for that frame.
          Suzuki weren't anything like as bad as Honda for changing things model year to year for no good reason other than to stymie re-use of parts by owners.
          Last edited by Grimly; 03-07-2015, 09:41 AM.
          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Excellent. Thank you again.
            Jeff.

Comment

Of course all of the above information assumes that the both bikes are either a G or GL but not one of each. If one is a G and the other is a GL there's more involved and some potential downsides.
              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

One thing that I noticed about the L is that the front shocks are a little longer. 1-1.5 inches. Discovered this when I went to install Progressive springs.

Comment

Working...
                X