Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitted fork tubes. Replace or keep scrubbing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pitted fork tubes. Replace or keep scrubbing???

I am working on the front end of my 78 gs550 and i have been scrubbing like crazy with super fine steel wool and wd40, aluminum foil and chrome polish but the pitting is so bad just not having any luck. I may also be looking for an excuse to change the front shock. I am thinking about putting a 2002 gsxr USD shock but keeping the wheels. From what I read it means I will have to adjust the spacing on the wheel and wheel bearings which i found on all ballz racing. I am just wondering if there is anything else I should be aware of if I go this route. I have found some 78 front shocks on ebay that would probably be less work but just like the way the USDs' look.

Here are a couple of pics of my tubes.

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag9/apoc330/IMG_1078_zpstg5bjdps.jpg

Why don't you find out what it would cost to have them refinished? I'm not sure what your ultimate goals are here. I would go with the new oem up front and try to figure out if I should or were up to the task of doing GSXR USD on that bike.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2015, 02:35 AM. Reason: Drinking

Comment

Replace!!!!!!!!!
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Do you want them to shine or be functional? If functional, grab some 1200 or higher grit and wet sand them.

Comment

I just looked at the pictures. Those are done.

Comment

Originally posted by GSCafe View Post
            Why don't you find out what it would cost to have them refinished? I'm not sure what your ultimate goals are here. I would go with the new oem up front and try to figure out if I should or were up to the task of doing GSXR USD on that bike.
            My plan for the bike is converting it to a cafe racer which is why i like the USD's for the look. I thought about refinishing but the cost is kind of high vs. replacing.

Comment

Thanks guys, I figured they were toast but hey... At least I got some good exercise!!!

Now to decide OEM or USDs'? Guess I will do some more reading on upgrading to decide if the amount of work is worth it just for looks.

Comment

What are USD's?
                https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
                1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Up Side Down shock tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Old guy View Post
                    I just looked at the pictures. Those are done.
                    Yup, I agree those tubes are done. Rechrome? maybe.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

If you want to keep the stock set up give forking by frank a call 1-847-475-1003 they are old school they did me a set of tubes for my 1150

Comment

Originally posted by 86gs1150e View Post
                        If you want to keep the stock set up give forking by frank a call 1-847-475-1003 they are old school they did me a set of tubes for my 1150
                        They did a set of 6" extended for my '71 CB350 over 40 years ago. Reputation for quality.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Doubtful. Cheaper to just pick up better condition forks off ebay (OR MINE!!!).

Once corrosion gets behind the chrome they are toast. Pitting can be fixed with JB weld and fine (FINE!) sanding. but that? Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesWhut? View Post
                            Doubtful. Cheaper to just pick up better condition forks off ebay (OR MINE!!!).

Once corrosion gets behind the chrome they are toast. Pitting can be fixed with JB weld and fine (FINE!) sanding. but that? Nope.
                            So do you have a set you want to get rid of? What's the condition and how much?

Comment

Working...
                            X