Finding rear brake caliper pistons.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding rear brake caliper pistons.

I'm rebuilding the calipers front and rear on my '80 GS 750E (resto-modded, but mechanically mostly stock), and I'm having a bear of a time finding the pistons for the rear calipers. I've managed to find one place out of the UK that sells them after I smartened up and searched under GSX 750, but they don't ship to the States. Any thoughts on where I could find a set? I believe they are 38mm x 22mm, but I'm struggling to find a conclusive answer.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2015, 01:26 AM.

Apparently I was mistaken, the site I initially found the front pistons on doesn't list them as "out of stock" until you try to add them to your cart. So I'll be needing both front and rear.

Comment

Not sure what site you are using but look here at Parts Outlaw in Florida as they have the set:

Fronts - http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/...front-calipers

Rear - http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/.../rear-caripers
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks so much, I hadn't stumbled on Parts Outlaw and Google was absolutely useless for the search.

Comment

Parts Outlaw update: they appear to have that parts in stock, but their customer service is useless. I've tried using their submission form on their site, directly emailing them, and calling, but I still haven't gotten an answer about what they advertise as a "piston and pad set" for the rear caliper, which is listed for about the same price as a single brake pad. They responded to my email, but it was nothing but a string of part numbers that don't even correspond to anything for my bike. They sent me the following...

"part # (59301-45822) (59300-441V0 ) ( 59302-45850-XNA ) (69107-05CF0) comes out to be 83.89"

That was the entire email, no greeting, no signature, just that. I'm a little mystified. Anybody know someplace else I could try? They've just given me the runaround so far.

Comment

Have you tried Nick Chambers? Upgrade to stainless is very worthwhile.

79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by RockyPatel15 View Post
              Parts Outlaw update: they appear to have that parts in stock, but their customer service is useless. I've tried using their submission form on their site, directly emailing them, and calling, but I still haven't gotten an answer about what they advertise as a "piston and pad set" for the rear caliper, which is listed for about the same price as a single brake pad. They responded to my email, but it was nothing but a string of part numbers that don't even correspond to anything for my bike. They sent me the following...

"part # (59301-45822) (59300-441V0 ) ( 59302-45850-XNA ) (69107-05CF0) comes out to be 83.89"

That was the entire email, no greeting, no signature, just that. I'm a little mystified. Anybody know someplace else I could try? They've just given me the runaround so far.
              Keep trying with the phone calls. I had a similar experience with them. I did get through to someone to confirm that pads came with the set. I was leary because the set was about the same price as pads alone. When I received my set, there were no pads! That's when I was really glad I had spoken to someone before placing my order. Called them back, and they did wind up sending my pads.
              https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
              1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
              1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

That's weird, I've never had a problem talking with them direct or getting answers to my emails.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                  Keep trying with the phone calls. I had a similar experience with them. I did get through to someone to confirm that pads came with the set. I was leary because the set was about the same price as pads alone. When I received my set, there were no pads! That's when I was really glad I had spoken to someone before placing my order. Called them back, and they did wind up sending my pads.
                  Final update: This looks like it'll be my last time ordering parts through Parts Outlaw, or more accurately Deland Motorsports. That's the name of their brick and mortar location. After fruitlessly trying to call the number on their site daily for a couple weeks, I eventually got an answer by email from their customer service. It wasn't much more coherent, but they told me that the pads and shims were part of the set. I finally got a working phone number off the invoice when my parts came in. Contrary to J's experience, I called them when my package showed up with no rear brake pads, and the answer I got was basically, "tough ****." According to their parts guy, they don't always know how the kits come from Suzuki. He said I could return the parts for a refund, and never offered to send the pads. A little strange when it's billed as a "pad and piston kit" and it doesn't come with pads. At least I got the pistons, that's the hard part taken care of. It's just frustrating to be jerked around by customer service like that.

Comment

I have had no problem with parts outlaw . Alpha sports in Limington probably has pad shims in stock, but some of their prices are absurd
                    For pads head to eBay - your bike should use EBC FA-36 on rear this is what I use on my gs650.
                    here's a typical eBay offer

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X