Center stand mind game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center stand mind game

I'm still trying to figure out why my PO, or the previous PO, removed the center stand. I'm sure it's compatible with the V&H Street Meg.

First month or two of ownership, I planned on replacing it, but I eventually convinced myself that it was unneeded weight on an already overweight bike.

I have no plans on adding one, but the thought occurred to me that, while adding a few pounds, that might actually lower my center of gravity. Barely enough to be measurable, and certainly not enough to noticeably affect handling.

See what happens when my bike is broken for a few months?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Weight or cornering clearance is usually why they are removed.

Comment

I think you should remove the fuel tank to compensate!

Comment

I agree with postman_pat, and will go a step further.

Just imagine how much less the bike would weigh if YOU were not on it.

The center of gravity would be MUCH lower, too.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sure ,take off 10 lbs off 500 lbs bike and see what happens. Me, I carry that much weight in tools and spares!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi Rob, you need to get back in the saddle. You're losing bike molecules and at risk of becoming a certifiable fixer.
            I picked up a screw a few weeks back, left the bike on the sidestand overnight and only discovered the problem the next day with the back tyre almost flat - 18psi was all that was left. The interesting bit was the angle of the bike. It had gone near vertical and looked as if the visiting feral cat could have toppled it easy.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Only took a few times scraping mine and decided to loose it.
              Dang nasty sound and the bike kicking off to the side.
              To scary!!!

Comment

Having the center stand on my bikes is priceless. Easier to replace and check oil level. Makes it possible to replace/rotate rear wheel. much more stable when working on bike. Add a jack at the front and you can remove front wheel or even the forks for maintenance.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Yeah, I would say the most common reason for removal of the center stand is due to aftermarket exhaust mods. Next is the scraping on harder cornering because it may be unsettling when you're suddenly riding metal in the corner and judging if the rear tire doesn't lose grip. Last I would say is due to weight savings, be it negligible. I doubt your center of gravity is going to be affected. If anything you will have slightly more weight lower on the bike with the extra 10 pounds or so.
                  The problem is when you're working on your bike, changing tires, and balancing a load when packing up for a camping trip. All good reasons to keep the center stand if you can. I personally think the bike will winter over better on the center stand than on the side stand. You can rock the bike occasionally to slosh the gas around, spin the rear wheel and when starting it put it gently through the gears carefully checking rear wheel clearance first (so you don't rocket across the garage). I've had bikes that the PO removed the centerstand and it was a PIA when working on them trying to rig something up just to do simple stuff.
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2015, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Firmly in the centrestand camp, here.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Center stand yes. Doesn't do you any good sitting on a shelf 100 miles from ya when ya need one.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

My last bike, a '73 Z1, I used the center stand practically every time I dismounted the bike. Had that nice big grab rail up behind the seat.

Definitely feel my motorcycle molecules dissipating. Just waiting on the headlight assembly, then it'll be a matter of days. Hell, I even plan on getting a license.

Mmm...probably should have done that while sitting here not riding for three months. Captain Hindsight to the rescue!

image.jpg
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Trivia: what was the first modern-era motorcycle to come without a centerstand?

(Standard or sportbike, not big touring rigs.)

Comment

Define "modern-era"? Motorcycles have had centerstands since they were bicycles.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesWhut? View Post
                              Define "modern-era"? Motorcycles have had centerstands since they were bicycles.
                              What was the very first without one?

What was the first 1970 or newer?

The first Wing had one, but did the first GSX-R?

Comment

Working...
                              X