Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 GS850GN Fork inner tube repair or replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS850GN Fork inner tube repair or replace?

I recently took my newly purchased GS850 to the local garage to have a couple of jobs done including replacing the leaking fork seals.

When I collected the bike the mechanic explained he hadn't changed the fork seals because the left inner tube (stanchion) has a very fine scratch which runs vertically up the tube and is about 1" long. The scratch is on the part of the tube the seal will travel up and down, and as the mechanic pointed out, will damage the new seal, so. I need to replace the inner tube or repair it.

I didn't realise finding a replacement would be so difficult. I phoned a local Suzuki main dealer who also carries New Old Stock. After checking the UK network he tells me there isn't a NOS inner tube listed anywhere in the UK and couldn't help.

Ive looked on eBay and there are a couple of tubes currently advertised in the US, but even though they are NOS, looking at the close up photos there appears to be some surface corrosion on the tubes so may be no better than what I already have... Am I also right in thinking that the U.S. inner tube is different to the UK version as the U.S. Bike has air suspension?

I have also thought about removing the forks and having them re chromed! My thinking being a new layer of chrome will cover the scratch. Has anyone else tried this? Would the extra layer of chrome make the inner tube slightly too wide to fit back together in the forks?

Does anyone out there have a spare inner tube for sale?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

steve.

Lincolnshire, UK

One trick that has been fairly effective is to use an epoxy like JB Weld to fill the scratch. Has worked for some. Can you post a pic of the "scratch"? It may help to determine if it can be repaired or not.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Photo! Good idea, I'll take one tomorrow morning and post it.

Thanks

Comment

Try Wemoto in the UK for replacement inner tubes. They stock the Tarozzi line of aftermarket replacements. Although the GS850GN is not listed, the 1980 GS1000GT is listed, which according to the parts diagrams I've found, uses the same inner tube 51110-45100. Price is £112.50.

Comment

If the scratch is as fine as you say, it ought to come out with the right combination of very fine grit sandpaper and polishing compound.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

image.jpgA close up photo of the scratched inner tube. As you can see, the scratch is in the line of travel of the oil seal.

Comment

Next, we will have to teach you how to post pictures.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Try Philpots in Luton. They've been doing it for years.
                For over 65 years, Philpots, based in Luton Bedfordshire, have provided hard chrome plating services to industry, as well as associated services such as hard anodising, metal spraying, grinding and machining.
                ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

You need a better mechanic if he couldn't/wouldn't/didn't suggest what others here have said.

Comment

Thanks for the link Dave!

Comment

Working...
                    X