Bum Demon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bum Demon

Just got new Pirelli Demons and went on my first ride out of town since getting the bike last July. Today I was lubing the chain and when I rotated the rear wheel I noticed a flat spot in the tire. It is no small defect. I contacted the E-bay seller, Chaparral Motorsports, to return it. Hopefully they will be as easy on the return as they were on the sale. I made a quick video of it but I don't know how to embed the video here so as to avoid linking over to photobucket like we can with pictures. Anyway, very disappointed and surprised and now concerned about getting a perfect replacement.
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Originally posted by glib View Post
    I made a quick video of it but I don't know how to embed the video here so as to avoid linking over to photobucket like we can with pictures.
    What's wrong with linking to Photobucket?

We have been doing that for years. The "embed" feature was only added a few months ago.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you balance them yourself, check for defects then. Flat spot and excessive wobble are easy to spot.If you pay someone to mount/balance your tires, they should look for defects too!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I had the original front tire on my 750 develop cord seperation (huge bubble on tread surface) with less than 2k on it. Suzuki wouldn't cover it under warranty. What really sucked was at the time, 16in fronts were hard to get yet. Couldn't ride it for three weeks....
        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I thought this thread was going to be about food poisoning.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            If you balance them yourself, check for defects then. Flat spot and excessive wobble are easy to spot.If you pay someone to mount/balance your tires, they should look for defects too!
            Had them mounted and balanced. I didn't think about it. Def will have them check next time.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              What's wrong with linking to Photobucket?

We have been doing that for years. The "embed" feature was only added a few months ago.

I like the embed much better--cleaner. Instructions or point me to them?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
                I like the embed much better--cleaner. Instructions or point me to them?
                It may be "better and cleaner", but the link still works.

Someone else will have to provide directions, I have not even tried embedding, let alone mastered it.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK here it is. I didn't think it was going to be a big deal but now the dealer says it will have to be sent to Pirelli to be evaluated and if they can balance it and it "tracks like normal" they won't replace it.

Last edited by glib; 04-17-2015, 07:23 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yikes!

Very interested since I (had) installed a set of Sport Demons eleven hundred miles ago.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      Yikes!

Very interested since I (had) installed a set of Sport Demons eleven hundred miles ago.
                      I take it yours are good?
                      sigpic

Comment

Well, I am going to buy a new tire from the shop that installed my Bum Demon and they are only going to charge me $12 more than I can get it from Chaparral Motorsports. So they'll swap tires tomorrow and I'll send the defective one to Pirelli to be evaluated. The guy that messaged me through E-Bay from Chaparral Motorsports in San Bernadino CA refused to look at the video--really annoying--we he said their security settings prevented him from opening it. I said someone there must have a smart phone they could view it on. No response. So sorry I was quick to give them positive feedback and now I can't do crap about it. But if the tire does get replaced at least I can put it on my GS1100E. No more online tires for me.
                        sigpic

Comment

My set of these arrived last week. I'll be looking at them verrrrrry closely when mounting/balancing. Sorry Chaparral isn't giving you good service....at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                            I thought this thread was going to be about food poisoning.

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
                              My set of these arrived last week. I'll be looking at them verrrrrry closely when mounting/balancing. Sorry Chaparral isn't giving you good service....at all.
                              While I am still disappointed at Chaparral, I decided to close my claim and keep the tire yesterday after taking it to the shop to swap for a new one. After sitting off the bike for half the day, it showed no sign of the previously obvious defect. We spun it on the computer balancer and then on the manual style balancer they use for checking/truing wheels. Four guys including myself could not see a significant flat spot and agreed that it must have been that the compound of the tire is soft enough to allow a flat spot to be created when the bike sits on the side stand. If I remember my timeline, it didn't take all that long either--same day. A big relief for me really because I thought it odd that Pirelli could miss a flaw like that and was worried about getting a perfect replacement.

So I hope this ends up helping someone else. The Sport Demons are soft and sticky--just like I wanted.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X