Spring Affair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Affair

Having to refit an 36cm/14in eye to eye shocks on 33cm/13in spaced apart studs more than gentle persuasion was in the call...

A little implement, thrown together in the most classical way (with pieces lying around).

Nice'n' eazy
    GS1000G '81

When I think of Italy and "spring affair" , shock absorbers don't register.
    So, mounted on bike, what's the eye to eye distance now?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

In our time (now) we had many Donna's now all they have is Madonnas... <--- I beg pardon for this...

the e2e now is 34, but they do not seem the originla shocks;

will have to shop around... any suggestions, something with an excellent price/performance ratio ?

Thanks
      GS1000G '81

Comment

We still got hordes of primadonnas.
        anyways my 650 has rear shocks about that length, 13.25 inches . Check other threads in this section for previous questions about shocks .
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'm not familiar with those two 'out rigs' on the shock. What are they?
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            I'm not familiar with those two 'out rigs' on the shock. What are they?
            poor-man spring-compressors??
            GS1000G '81

Comment

Originally posted by Lorenzo View Post
              poor-man spring-compressors??
              Only for the install, right?
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

and uninstall
                Last edited by Lorenzo; 03-30-2015, 08:29 PM.
                GS1000G '81

Comment

Couldn't you just let the swingarm and rear wheel drop free to the correct stud spacing and slide the shocks on/off? If your swingarm is binding before the shocks top out you are going to have exciting times on the road.

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Hi Mark, I appreciate your pointing out (and not just hinting) a possible issue but, I guess I did not tell the whole story.

Old shocks, which appeared to be licking:

and how I managed to pry them apart....

Thanks
                    Last edited by Lorenzo; 04-01-2015, 11:34 PM.
                    GS1000G '81

Comment

But, Mark do please elaborate on the matter, either by pm or by posting.
                      Thanks
                      GS1000G '81

Comment

Working...
                      X