Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A funny thing happened on the way to the garage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A funny thing happened on the way to the garage.

I was run over by a truck.

Boy was I TIRED.

I wanted to tell that joke forever.

Now that it's out of the way.

Both my wheels need new rubber so I decided to pull the tires myself....And no I am full of questions.

This the back rim. Whats with the rust? I can only think that particles from tools rusted and there is nothing to it. But is it?

Also how clean must the rim be for the new tire?

The hole for the valve shows corrosion. That tire always had a slow leak. I had the valve replaced before with the tire with no difference.

So can the dealer clean that with a cutting tool of should I do it myself? Or is my leaks due to the rubber on the rim?

This is my front rim. The bead was hard to pop. There is considerably more "ShYte"...Is that because front tires are like that? Or what?

Last mistery. The valves were different on front and back.

The back had just the valve and a nut. Maybe the rubber grommet fell without me noticing. IDK

The front had the valve, a rubber grommet, a domed washer and 2 nuts. The valve also had and exagonal opening to allow being held with an Allen wrench....

I am guessing that the more complex arrangement is "Normal" and the minimalistic one is NOT normal.

Anyway. I wll adress theese things in the next few days.

All comments are welcomed.
    Last edited by Highway_Glider; 04-02-2015, 10:43 PM.
    Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
    1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

My 650 was prone to the tires losing air down to 10 psi over a week or so. I cleaned them up, getting rid of all that rubber from years of tires and gave a good polish. Will hold air pretty reliable for 3 weeks or so before they loose a couple of pounds.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Clean up the valve holes real good and ideally get new valves. Those are supposed to be replaced every so often anyway.

Scrub up the bead area real good too. Green scotch brite works great. Should feel fairly smooth to the touch in order to get a good seal.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
      X