78 gs750 Suspension/Shock Bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 gs750 Suspension/Shock Bolt

The bolt in which the shock slides upon then tightened with a nut, is very stripped by PO. It holds somewhat but I would rather try and change it and not risk it loosening when I'm riding.

What are my remedies? I cant find an OEM bolt to purchase. Also, can I just punch the old one out with a hammer if I found a new one?

Here is a picture of my issue. I though that it was a through bolt, but it is not. I think it is welded. does anyone have experience with this and a good remedy?
    Attached Files

Comment

You can buy a die to re-cut the threads. Also, some Locktite and drilling a hole for a cotter pin might give you peace of mind in the meantime.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I think this may be the only feasible route to go. I am guessing the thread diameter would need to be one size smaller. Thus a smaller nut would be needed. Does this make sense?

Ps. that cotter pin may be the big ticket item for peace of mind!

Comment

Another answer.

Somewhere on here there are a few threads asking the same question.
          I remember reading a reply of cutting the existing bolt off and then drilling back through frame.
          Making sure your drilling is straight as possible.
          Replacing with another high quality bolt and welding in place.

You would need to insure the replacement bolt is rated to take a beating.
          Would also want to make sure the re-weld is quality work.

I like GSCafe's answer for a easy quick fix though.

Comment

Re threading witha die would be easiest. Next size down may be a US thread. If you never used one before, lots of oil, 1/4 turn on then 3/4 turn off to clean the threads as your cutting.

Comment

Originally posted by CUEagle17 View Post
              Thank you for the reply. I think this may be the only feasible route to go. I am guessing the thread diameter would need to be one size smaller. Thus a smaller nut would be needed. Does this make sense?

Ps. that cotter pin may be the big ticket item for peace of mind!
              Yeah, it would be a nut of the next smaller inner diameter. Figure out what the original thread size was to determine the appropriate tap die and nut size. You'll want to stay with the same thread pitch so it will flow smoothly over what is left of the old threads. As an alternate to the suggested cut/weld idea from Crankthat, you could cut the thread part off, drill a hole there, inner tap that with threads, and use a bolt/washer with appropriate head diameter. (or a bolt all the way through with lock-nut, but put the nut on the outside so you can more easily see if it becomes loose)

Comment

Thanks, Crankthat and GS cafe. I think I will go ahead and try the die first, if that fails I will move along and to the next remedy.

Comment

Hi! I am in the same situation, but my problem is in the swing arm. I will go with the drill through and reweld method. I will use a machine shop to do this. The threaded part is just for securing the shock from slide off, so if there are enough "meat" to recut like in your case that is the easyest repair. In my case the thread destroyed so much, i didnt have other way to choose.

Comment

I am thinking there is enough meat on it. Ill take it to a shop and get a quote, if its too much Ill find someone with a die set! Good luck with your situation!

Comment

Working...
                    X