Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension upgrades for GSX550es -83?

Hello guys,

I want to upgrade my suspension on my 83 GSX550es(front and rear). What options do i have? New springs, seals, thicker oil and fork bracing? Or is there some other more modern forks i could bolt on? I wouldnt want to change geometry of the bike dramatically.

Cheers,

For the fronts, get either Progressive springs or the Sonic straight rates; Hagons are some favorites for the rears
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The '83 is a monoshock rear setup, so I'm not sure what you have available to you to upgrade that, but Hagon does offer a rather pricey piece of kit:

I believe the fork has a 43mm inner tube, and the part number only lines up with the 550es according to a parts search. A front end upgrade is probably going to be a complete front end graft from something else, including the triple tree; perhaps from a small Bandit...or as cowboyup says, you could upgrade the springs, and maybe put in a set of emulators. I guess it would depend on whether you are looking for better dampening and minimizing fork dive, or you are trying to stiffen up the front end
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

hmmm i think a 600 bandit shock fits but has linited clearance ints in the archives somewhere

Comment

Working...
        X