1150 Drop??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 Drop??

I am new to this forum and i just purchased an 85 GS1150ES. The bike is stock except for a rear fox shock someone installed before me which may have raised it somewhat. I am 5'10" and when i sit on this bike i am on tip toes. The bike feels heavy compared to my GSXR750. I dont want to dump it over. Can anyone tell me the best way to lower this bike so i am close to flat footed? About how much would i have to drop it? I dont want it slammed like a drag bike, but somewhere in between. Thanks

I'm sure one of the resident suspension efforts will be along shortly to give you some advice. In the meantime, welcome, read up, search and most importantly, post some pics of that beauty! We love photos!

I want an 1150ES one day, have an 83 750ES with 11K miles that I love, but someday I'll find one.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Fox shocks (twin clickers) are usually adjustable for ride height. You might look into that first.

Ducati 900 shocks are a favorable options when replacing the stock shock. There are quite a few threads on it.

Nic
      83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Welcome

Wow...you're 5' 10" and on your tip toes on that bike? I'm interested in how you go about lowering it. I've seen adjustable shocks so you may have to go that route. I've also read about shaving the seat but this bike may not be a good candidate for that.

What year is your Gixxer 750?

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
          Wow...you're 5' 10" and on your tip toes on that bike?
          Something doesn't seem stock there!
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Welcome

I suspect that aftermarket unit is somehow taller. Im 5'8" ish. Im not completely flat footed on my 1150, but nearly so- enought that I don't feel unstable.
            Id love to see a pic and how high the back end sits.
            And yes compared to your GSX-R , the 1150 will likely feel like a boat- A big giant fun one.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Don't ditch that Fox shock!
              one of the nicest units out there, worth half a dozen Ducati take-offs. Priced in the $1000 dollar neighbourhood when new. they don't make them anymore, (just clothing and bicycle stuff now)
              it is adjustable for ride height independently of preload. I have one on the hawk. I have a manual somewhere, but you should be able to dig one up online.
              GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Thanks for all your quick replys. In a week i didnt get one reply on the GSXR forum. The GSXR750 is a 1990 with stage 3 and Yosh race pipe. Very quick and nimble. The GS1150ES is red and white. Only mods i can see are a fox rear shock, braided brake lines and a corbin seat. It appears to be well maintained even though it has 30k miles. Seems to run OK, maybe a little rich? There is a place not far from here called Race Tech that specializes in suspension. I may take it down and see what they can do. I will post pics when i get a chance. There doesnt seem to be much info out there about this bike. I would like to know more about the problems they have and so forth. I am 51 yrs old and remember when they came out and liking them along with the FJ 1200. But i never saw one in person until now. There seems to be quite a few up in Canada for sale. I did ride a friends 1980 GS1100E yrs ago and it was lower to the ground. I dont feel comfortable sitting this high on such a heavy bike.

Comment

^^Hey again,

You're in Riverside...I just visited family in Rancho Cucamonga & Alhambra...now I'm back in JAX.

Definitely post pics of both your bikes...here's a nice link to view the GSX-R/750 history: http://www.fitzhughmedia.com/MBF/gsxr750.html

Your's is a nice year...do you have the classic blue/white?

Once you post pics of your GS1150ES, I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback.

Ed
                  Last edited by GSXR7ED; 04-22-2015, 09:39 PM.
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

D'oh, he lives close to Race Tech. They should see the problem in a second.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by journeyquest View Post
                      I am new to this forum and i just purchased an 85 GS1150ES. The bike is stock except for a rear fox shock someone installed before me which may have raised it somewhat. I am 5'10" and when i sit on this bike i am on tip toes. The bike feels heavy compared to my GSXR750. I dont want to dump it over. Can anyone tell me the best way to lower this bike so i am close to flat footed? About how much would i have to drop it? I dont want it slammed like a drag bike, but somewhere in between. Thanks
                      I am near Disneyland & build & race GSs. Call me at 714--356-784 five. I will be glad to help you.
                      Ray.

Comment

I Love LA

Hey rapidray, good to know you are out there in case I relocate to SoCal!

Ed
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Looks like they will only let me post one pic per reply? The GSXR is having the fuel system cleaned along w the chain.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Not sure the model of the Fox shock?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Front.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X