Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs750 front brakes and suspension

Hey all!!! A couple quick questions...

1) Hypothetical: What would happen of a 16MM bore master cylinder was put on the single disc brake setup? I imagine that would make the feel stiffer and the action quicker, but I just don't know how much.

2) What all do I need to do a dual disc brake conversion on the front? Just the bottom of the fork leg and a caliper and rotor?

As you might surmise, I have a spare master cylinder laying around that I wouldn't mind putting to good use!
    Sorry if this is stuff that y'all have answered before. I just can't really find these specific answers, just a lot of things pertaining to very similar topics.

I have not done a master cylinder swap of the type you are proposing, so can't offer any insight there.

You could possibly just change the right fork leg, but please note that the single disc and dual disc rotors are different sizes.

Not sure anybody would notice it by just looking, but the dual rotors are just a bit smaller than the singles.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You must have the T model.
      I do not know all the specifics of your bike, but if you have 35mm forks you can switch out the lowers or the whole fork legs to a 750L model.
      Your front rim is ready to accept the duel disk from a L model unless you have spokes.
      You would need the hardware bolts and bolt keepers.
      There is a cover over the holes on the side without the disk on your bike.
      You may find it cheaper to buy a complete rim with the disks already attached then the disks alone.
      I have seen on E-bay where the disks alone are usually more expensive then the whole setup including shipping.
      Disks alone and you have a better chance of buying non warped disks though.
      Either way I would check the disks for warp on a large mirror.
      Some scrapyards let the bikes fall over and the weight on the disks can damage them.

Comment

Hey thanks for the insight everyone. As the name of the game with this bike is to get the most bang for the buck with a little bias toward keeping it cheap, I decided to get some sonic springs and rebuild kits for the front brakes with SS lines.

I do have another question though. I've seen some stuff on the boards here about swapping aluminum swingarms from other bikes. I'd like to do that but I can't seem to find any specific info about what swingarms will fit my bike and use the stock wheel and rear suspension layout. Any insight to that would be much appreciated!!

thanks!
        -Len
        Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2015, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Hey! I actually was able to dig out some old threads detailing what needs to be done for the swing arm swap so nvm.

Thanks everyone one who chimed in!
          -Len

Comment

If you put your location in your profile, you may find a user with a spare wheel that is already twin disc.....

I'm in Ohio, hint, hint.

Comment

Originally posted by stevef. View Post
              Hey! I actually was able to dig out some old threads detailing what needs to be done for the swing arm swap so nvm.

Thanks everyone one who chimed in!
              -Len
              If you have the T model, then you pretty much stuck with the swing arm you have, unless you are going to do a rear drum brake conversion to a rear disk brake set up.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

What's different about the swingarm from a drum brake to a disc brake rear wheel?

Comment

Working...
                X