Pad spring clip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pad spring clip?

I really should attach a picture so you can see what I'm asking about but maybe someone will know the answer right off . . .

Rear brake caliper, '82 GS850G, after replacing pads and sliding the pins into place that hold the pads in position, you put the two little hitch pins in the little holes on the pins to lock the pins in . . . then there are two sping-like things that fit over the pads with a wire extending to each side that touch each side of the caliper housing. If I was to give them a name I'd call them "pad spring clips". Looking in the Suzuki parts catalog they are just labeled as "spring".

My question is, what are these for? What function do they serve? Anybody know what I'm asking about or do I need to take a picture?

Thanks,

Mike

Those spring clips just keep a little pressure on pads, so pads don't vibrate against spinning disc when pressure isn't being applied.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

They keep the pads from rattling around, making noise.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys. I was guessing that's what they are for especially after going through a Google images search of brake calipers. I never did find any image close to what mine looks like but on one image there was something they called an "anti-rattle spring." It looked nothing like our little wirey things but clearly that's what they are for since my brakes don't rattle.

Mike

Comment

Working...
        X