New avon back tire makes rear end feel like it's floatiing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New avon back tire makes rear end feel like it's floatiing

I just got new tires on my 1981 gs100ex. They were a bit over due. My old shinkos were long in the tooth with the back tire starting to square a bit.

I was sold by the shop on some avon road riders. The shinkos were the largest I could fit (using research on this site) though I don't remember the size. I went with stock size this time around because that's the size the avons were.

anyway I have about 70 miles on the new tires. When ever I get to about 60 miles an hour the back starts feeling like it's floating a little bit. I have checked the alignment, chain slack, and tire pressure and all seem up to speck. The interstate here has grooving that flows in the direction of traffic. It used to give the feeling of side movement when I first started riding on it (kind of like metal mesh draw bridges) but I think I have gotten so used to it, and I don't really notice anymore. Since getting the new tires I definitely notice just the back moving in a slight floating sensation.

could this just be a different feel from a different brand and size of tire? I doubt it could be the swing arm bushings as it just started suddenly with the new tires being put on and the tire feels very solid in the bearing department when I yank side to side. Any thoughts?

A lack of experience with that particular tire but i would guess that it is just a trait of the Avons.
    I have many miles with Bridgestone BT45 and have always found them skittish on rain grooves and metal bridges.
    I would also check the rear axlenut.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Sorry, I have not the slightest idea what you mean by a "floating" feeling.

However, the RoadRiders do have a somewhat "pointier" profile than many others, so they do feel different, especially if you are coming from old worn tires. They'll "fall" into corners far more quickly, and I know this spooks people sometimes. I've also heard people complain they steer much more quickly, or that the bike feels "twitchy". The plus side is that they can make a large, heavy bike feel much lighter.

Assuming everything is A-OK mechanically (please quadruple-check everything), you'll get used to them pretty quickly. And if you ride and corner hard, you'll love the newfound agility.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        A lack of experience with that particular tire but i would guess that it is just a trait of the Avons.
        I have many miles with Bridgestone BT45 and have always found them skittish on rain grooves and metal bridges.
        I would also check the rear axlenut.
        +1 on the rear axle nut.
        No signature :(

Comment

I have about 20k miles on Avon roadriders ( 3 different sets) and I wouldn't describe the rear tire as floating unless there was something mechanical wrong on the suspension of the bike. I run my rear tire at 34-6 psi and the front at 32 psi. If the pressure is low, things will seem squirrelly (floating). Be sure to check your pressure daily until you are confident the rims/stem aren't leaking.

cg
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

When floating?
            Going into a turn and they feel like they slip out a hair before grabbing?

Oops reread.

Seems a bit strange to me.
            Would give everything a thorough inspection.
            Front and rear, all bolts, shocks and mounts, swingarm and pivot bolt, frame, front suspension, front tire pressure and bolts along with rear. chain adjusters, everything listed in the above posts, and everything else you may think of.
            I would not take chances with something like that until I have ruled out dangerous possibilities.

Would keep a close eye on the tire also if you decide nothing else is to blame.
            Things like cracking of sidewall due to to much flex, rubber that looks like it is smeared due to heat, uneven wear, bubble spot in between rubber layers.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2015, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankthat View Post
              When floating?
              Going into a turn and they feel like they slip out a hair before grabbing?

Oops reread.

Seems a bit strange to me.
              Would give everything a thorough inspection.
              Front and rear, all bolts, shocks and mounts, swingarm and pivot bolt, frame, front suspension, front tire pressure and bolts along with rear. chain adjusters, everything listed in the above posts, and everything else you may think of.
              I would not take chances with something like that until I have ruled out dangerous possibilities.

Would keep a close eye on the tire also if you decide nothing else is to blame.
              Things like cracking of sidewall due to to much flex, rubber that looks like it is smeared due to heat, uneven wear, bubble spot in between rubber layers.

Above all...watch for cracking with these tires! Some have had nightmares with Roadriders cracking. I returned one rear tire for one made in 2014.
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

My new road riders (installed last week) seem to be the lightest (best way I can describe it) tires I've ran on the GS (bridgestones, kendas, gt501s in past). The bike doesn't seem to be made of lead anymore, apparently the pointier profile mentioned earlier. I know in the same size they were actually a fair amount taller than the GT501 I removed (had to deflate front and rear on centerstand and still had trouble installing, old tires came right out). I could imagine the ease in turning I've felt with the tire resulting in the things you've felt in your use. Still the best GS tire I've used in the past decade.

Comment

I did check the rear axle nut. Especially after seeing the tension nut on the right side had become loose !!

After my ride home from work last night, I agree with Steve, it's just the side to side sensation of riding on the rain grooves that I'm feeling. Cornering is really nice with avons. Maybe these tires are a bit more responsive to the roads surface then the shinkos had become. As soon as work slows down enough for me to take a day off to ride out of the city, I can see how they run on flat roads.

I will actively monitor the tread and tire pressure until I can be positive that's what it is. Thanks for the help!

Comment

70 miles is probably a bit early for the shine to wear off.. See what it's like after 200, by which time you've gotten used to them ..............
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

[QUOTE=Wheelbreak;2178142]I did check the rear axle nut. Especially after seeing the tension nut on the right side had become loose !!

For sure check that wheel is properly aligned.........As in.....why 'tension nut' loose.

My experience with the Avons on my 83 1100E is positive. No issues at all with hunting (floating) side to side on rain grooves. California freeways have thousands of miles of rain grooves. No issues either on metal bridge surfaces. No cracking issues either. Great tires for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelbreak View Post

After my ride home from work last night, I agree with Steve, it's just the side to side sensation of riding on the rain grooves that I'm feeling. Cornering is really nice with avons.
                        Pretty much what Ive found. I run about 5 miles of concrete freeway with deep rain grooves and Im all over the road. Twisty smooth tar and Im scraping the center stand. Also running 34-36 back and 32 front. Bonus is good wet weather traction and braking.
                        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

In my experience - when I feel that "floating" rear wheel - It usually comes to under inflation .
                          Check pressures often - check them when cold, and when hot -

Comment

Working...
                          X