Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

35mm vs 37mm forks

Hi Guys,
    As I've mentioned earlier on this forum, I'm restoring a 650 Katana from a large pile of spares. (Or junk as my wife fondly refers to it). Now it turns out that of the 2 sets of shocks I have, one is 37mm (presumably from the 650) and the other 35mm (presumably from a 550 katana?). Naturally, one of the "correct" shocks is bent. The question is, would there be any problem with using the 35mm shocks instead?
    My other, related question is as follows. When I fixed up the lower steering head, one was in much better condition than the other, particularly in regard to the fine thread at the top of the steering stem. So I cleaned that one up nicely, installed the new bearing... and of course this turned out to be the one for the bent 37mm shocks. I'm tempted to have a 35 x 37 mm bush turned up for me at work, with a lip at the top to prevent slipping (at least downwards), and install between the shock and the lower steering head clamps. Are there any problems I haven't foreseen with this solution? Or should I try to fix up the 35mm lower steering head instead. Or even try to get the 37 mm shocks straightened?

The benefit of anyone's experience and knowledge would be much appreciated!

Ian

I am not an engineer but for my own peace of mind I would simply get another set of 35mm (if that was the original size). You can buy the stanchions new in the UK for £150 from ABE Engineering or get a second hand pair from eBay.

Greetings
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Working...
    X