Tire sidewall cracking/Safe to ride on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire sidewall cracking/Safe to ride on?

I bought a bike that has Dunlop 404's with significant sidewall cracking. The cracks are not deep and the tires still feel somewhat supple and there is lot's of tread left. I have driven around on them and they seem to perform just fine. The bike was only stored in a garage and I believe the tires are about 10 years old.

I am not planning on taking a long trip but just commuting and local driving. I am planning on replacing them sometime this summer, but I am just wondering if they are safe to ride on now?

Thanks for any feedback!

Rick

Attached Files

ryonker ? The MN ryonker ? How the hell & where the hell have you been Rick ?

Ditch those tires NOW ! Run up to Dennis Kirk in Rush City and grab some new ones.
    Last edited by bonanzadave; 05-03-2015, 05:44 PM.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Agreed. Don't ride with those tires. I know I wouldn't.
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
      1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Hi Dave;

Yes, this is the MN ryonker. Things are great. Twice now I have failed to log in within the 6 month period so I have been bumped back to newbie (-:

I am selling my 79 750 if you know anyone who might be interested. It's in great shape and I have done everything to upgrade it and more. Maybe we could get a chance to ride this summer.

Rick

Comment

Minor sidewall cracking wouldn't bother me too much with a tube inside doing all the hard work, but riding on 10 year old tires would.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I agree with Bonanzadave and will go a step further: I wouldn't even push that bike down the driveway, let alone fire it up and ride it.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I can't say I have personal experience of riding on tyres like that simply because I wouldn't. It's a line in the sand thing.
              Unfortunately car driving allows many to experience a blow out and walk away.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
              X