Harley Davidson shocks as replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harley Davidson shocks as replacement

As anyone tried installing some used Harley Davidson 13" shocks in order to replace their old worn out GS shocks? I surprisingly haven't found much info about it, but figured this would be a popular upgrade since some slightly used harley shocks can usually be found for $50 or so. If you don't recommend this change, why not? If you have harley shocks installed, how do they ride? Thanks guys.

I do not have any specific knowledge on stock Harley shocks but i think there is a reason that they are inexpensive and plentiful.
    Harley owners swap them out pronto.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Well I have seen that at least some HD shocks are made by FOX, which are known to be great shocks for cars, and I figure are probably good for motorcycles as well. I assumed that they are cheap and plentiful because people love to customize their harley, especially with the lower 11" shocks.

Comment

I think they would probably be better than the decades-old stock shocks, but not as good as the midrange (price-wise) aftermarket options. Harleys are heavy bikes (with heavy riders ) so I'd expect them to be rather firm on most GSes.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thats why I like the thought of them. I weight 300lbs and my wife also likes to hope on the back of my GS550E from time to time. We definitely need something stiffer that wont break the bank.

Comment

In that case, try them and tell us what they're like.
            Why would Harley guys take them out, too stiff or too soft?
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Not chrome enough probably.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I wouldn't put Harley anything on my GS. Heck, I was a little upset when my NGK B8ES's came in a Honda package!
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                  In that case, try them and tell us what they're like.
                  Why would Harley guys take them out, too stiff or too soft?
                  I think they are usually replaced for shorter shocks. 11" probably.

Comment

I remember reading on a Yamaha XJ site how guys would use Sportster shocks on their Maxims to lower the rear without bottoming out. Pretty sure "performance upgrades" weren't part of the equation, but I guess if you had an L and wanted a pair of shorter shocks that could handle the weight then the same conversion would probably work out OK.

And like you say, they're cheap.
                    Current:
                    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
                    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Are they eye to eye?
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Are they eye to eye?
                        Sporty shocks are all eye to eye

Current:
                        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
                        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by Tenshots1 View Post
                          I weight 300lbs and my wife also likes to hope on the back of my GS550E from time to time.
                          If your wife is large enough to cast a shadow, there certainly can't be much room for her on that bike.

If the Harley shocks don't work or don't fit, the MDI (cheapos) might be OK for you.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think it's your scientific duty to try 'em out!

I have a faint memory of someone who tried this a while back and was disappointed, but honestly, it hasn't come up much. Maybe it's time for a report "from the field".
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I did this to replace the worn out air shocks on my KZ750 spectre. The harley air shocks are made by Showa, same company that made the originals for the KZ. Pretty easy to install, press out the old shock bushings and press in some new Kawasaki ones. The airlines are easy to install and they come with a schrader valve so adjustment is easy. Vast improvement over the old worn out Kawasaki shocks.

Comment

Working...
                              X