Suzuki GS400 Front brake upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GS400 Front brake upgrade

Hi,is there any way to upgrade the front brake of the suzuki gs400? bigger caliper with the same or bigger disk?
    will a new stainless brake line help?

EDIT 1/1/2023 - Yes I have a few sets of brackets/spacers/hub spacers left - Price is $104 shipped Priority in the USA. Most other countries tend to be around $125-$130 shipped 1st class package. Newest brackets also allow the new Ninja EX650 Tokico calipers to be fitted as well as SV650 & DL650. Just some pics of the

This thread might give you some ideas. It addresses dual disc systems but I would think you could try a twin pot caliper with new discs. Maybe swap the forks out for a twin disc set from another GS.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

will i have more stopping power if i put a different master cylinder? like the one on a older gsxr 750....
      when im braking i need to pull the lever a lot,so maybe with a stronger master cylinder i will need to pull the lever less....

Comment

Andy, lots of lever travel usually means air bubbles in the system or even a flexing brake hose.
        I would try a stainless brake line and/or a complete flush and bleed.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

i changed the brake fluid and i dont have any sigh of air bubbles,when i pull the lever the bike brake the whole time but not enough so yes maybe changing the brake line would be a solution because i think its the original one,36 years old,i would try changing the line and brake pads(old too) as soon as i can but i want to know if putting a suzuki gsxr 750 master cylinder would be possible?and if will help for better performances?

Comment

Andy, I've got a couple of '81 400's and I find the single disk is very good.... I'm Not a racer and just potter around but if I hammered the front brake, at speed, I'd probably kill myself.... I would just fix yours and if necessary replace parts with the same type. ie: What steve_murdoch says above...

The thing about old brakelines is: if they are cracking or bulging or dripping at the fittings they must be replaced. But replacing a good old brakeline with a brand new brakeline fixes nothing, though it's nice to do. Likewise pads. and the caliper piston.... If you were to buy everything new you could put it together and still have air in the system. It can be hard to get an air-bubble out when you are trying to push it all the way down to the caliper..after all, an air bubble is really happier to go up!!
            ... just go through the process and find what's wrong before throwing $ at it. Then, extra money can goto what you think "should be", "could be" replaced. seals,cups and boots for instance.

Comment

YOu can do the twinpot mod (with GS550 rotor or CBR rotor) single sided on the 400's...
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                YOu can do the twinpot mod (with GS550 rotor or CBR rotor) single sided on the 400's...
                I have this on my 550/657, it would be perfect for a 400 or 450.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I changed now the master cylinder with the one of the Suzuki GSXR 750 '93 and changed the brake pads,now its brake alot better,less lever travel,less strength required and better 'feeling' of the brake....im waiting now for the new stainless hose then i post how will improve...

Comment

Working...
                  X