GS750 Fork Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 Fork Question

Question for the "PROS", I have a 1980 750E cafe that has the stock Showa 4540 forks and I have an extra set of Showa 4523 forks from a "L" model. I plan on switching the front ends complete. I know that the "E" internals differ some but when it comes to handling, is there much difference? My "E" front end needs a complete rebuild (seals, head bearings, oil) rust on the upper tubes, about 35,000 miles. The "L" front is imaculate with about 20,000 and well kept. One owner bike. I have all the seals, bearings and races. Was the "E" 4540 a stiffer handling fork compared to the "L" 4523. I may update the springs and rear shocks along the way but $$ are in short supply.

I'd be more concerned about geometry difference as opposed to internals. Trail and ride height.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Well, triples are exactly the same on the "E" and "L" and the tube assemblies are the same length, both forward axle mount opposed to below, what would be different in trail, I thought I would up date the spring rate for the "L", seems you have the answers when it come to that side of the coin. www.sonicsprings.com

Comment

Originally posted by jbird7262 View Post
        Well, triples are exactly the same on the "E" and "L" and the tube assemblies are the same length, both forward axle mount opposed to below, what would be different in trail, I thought I would up date the spring rate for the "L", seems you have the answers when it come to that side of the coin. www.sonicsprings.com
        If the triple offset, fork length and axle mount is the same you should be fine. I've never owned an "L" so I wasn't sure. I thought some of them had leading axle forks? I've never measured the fork length or triple offset, just pointing out things to look for.
        Be happy to help with springs when you're ready.
        Last edited by RichDesmond; 05-28-2015, 10:38 PM.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Rich, in this case, it won't make much difference, as the '80-'82 750E and 1100E had the same leading fork setup that the L version of the same bikes had, but I think the only year of the L version was 1980.

I have not seen any specs to say what the differences might be, but I would suspect that those forks could be safely swapped.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes, internally the "E" and "L" are completly different so you can't swap parts but as a complete top to bottom swap I think it is a good fit. The only reason I asked is that my bike had a run in with bambi before I took ownership, and there is a slight cant somewhere, I've aligned everything but the price was right for the "L" front end so I jumped on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Rich, in this case, it won't make much difference, as the '80-'82 750E and 1100E had the same leading fork setup that the L version of the same bikes had, but I think the only year of the L version was 1980.

I have not seen any specs to say what the differences might be, but I would suspect that those forks could be safely swapped.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea that there was a "E' model with leading axle forks. Ya learn something new everyday. (Of course, I forget 2 or 3 things for every new one...)

Comment

Working...
              X