rear wheel is rolling tight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear wheel is rolling tight

Took it off to paint rims. Used schematics to put back together and it rolls tight. Not sure what it is. Either I put it back together wrong or possibly chain tightener???? Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Oh yeah its a 79:gs1000 and I am newbie. Hello to all.

Comment

With or without the chain? IS the chain properly adjusted and the wheel aligned properly?
      Hmmmmm
      Disc brake on that model yes? SO its not an adjustment issue.

Comment

Caliper binding on the rotor?
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

A missing spacer is most common cause of this sort of thing. The one between the sprocket carrier and the wheel is a popular escapee. And of course, if you replaced the wheel bearings, more than one rider has left out that spacer inside the wheel.

Rear brake issues are common as well. Remove the rear caliper and see what happens -- perhaps the caliper is out of place or not floating side-to-side freely.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            A missing spacer is most common cause of this sort of thing. The one between the sprocket carrier and the wheel is a popular escapee. And of course, if you replaced the wheel bearings, more than one rider has left out that spacer inside the wheel.

Rear brake issues are common as well. Remove the rear caliper and see what happens -- perhaps the caliper is out of place or not floating side-to-side freely.
            thanks I will take a look

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Could also be frozen caliper piston or even a rear master cylinder issue. Yep, you need to isolate where the problem stems from. Remove the chain and then the rear brake pads. If the wheel is still tight, then you know the problem is along the axle. Then it could be a missing spacer or a bad bearing.
              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by GS1 View Post
                thanks I will take a look
                Mine ran tight after a winter lay up. The rear caliper was binding and the only way I managed to sort it was to remove the shim between the pad and the piston. It was only going on one run so it was a temporary fix. Will be taking the rear apart soon for a full refurbish.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. Figured out previous owner put caliper hanging bracket on backwards. Glad I noticed before putting on the road.

Comment

Working...
                  X