Stripped Shock Mount Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped Shock Mount Repair

I have posted this before but so long ago and I cant find the original thread, hopefully it might help someone or give them an idea for an alternative repair.
    I had an old doner bike and before chucking the frame away I cut the shock mounts out and cleaned them up used one and kept the other "just in case" This bike had a rack which I removed and found that the mounting had seen better days.

The damaged stub was cut off.....

Using an old centre finder.....

punch the centre.....

centre drilling to start.....

Pilot drilled 5mm......

Drilled in 25mm, the total thickness of metal there is 30mm before break through, I didn't want to go right the way through because I want the repair to be as unobtrusive as possible...I opened this up to 10mm......

The cleaned up salvaged mount from the old frame....

Spun down to size on the lathe....

And threaded to M12X1.75....

Continued below because of too many photos.
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Continued...

Tapping the frame..1st..2nd..then a plug to get the thread right to the bottom of the hole...

All in and tight, just need to give it a squirt over with some black paint and done..

This is a strong permanent fix and I hope invisible.
    I hope it helps.
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Working...
    X