1979 GS1000E front and rear tire choices HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS1000E front and rear tire choices HELP

I am getting mixed info and what seems to be a limited choice of tires.
    What would you guys recommend? I just got this thing and want to put fresh rubber on it

I'm very pleased with the Pirelli Sport Demons I installed on my '82 11e a year ago.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by GRAND ROUGE
      What is your riding "style?" Are you looking for ultimate traction in The Twisties? Straight up riding? Longevity? Price? Are you looking to mount and balance them yourself? There are good answers to be had here......but depends on your needs.

Oh, and welcome to the GSR
      can mount them and just touring style riding. The sizes are a question too. there is a 120 on the back now and I think 130 is the correct size but is a 140 too much ?

Comment

Originally posted by GRAND ROUGE
        Does your GS 1000 have 19 inch front and a 17 inch rear? Original size was stated in inches 3.50 F and 4.50 R............ Metric sizing now used is close @ 100 / 90 19 up front and 130 / 90 17 rear. V rated. My experience with my 2 1983 GS 1100E machines (owned since new) is my best miles per dollar are with Avon Road Riders in the sizes above and a pretty close second are with Shinko 230 series tires. Shinkos are cheaper but do not last as long. Straight up cruising with rider weight around 225 pounds, rear Shinko flat and on wear bars and kind of ugly in transition to cornering in about 4,000 miles. The Avon in about 6,000 miles. Fronts with both brands about 10,000 miles.

Lots of opinions re tires. And some riders here have had sidewall / tread crack issues with the Avons. I have never had that with any tire.....and with one machine with just over 105,000 miles and the other at 36,000 miles, I have levered on and off a lot of tires.

Motorcycle Superstore has great prices and fast delivery here in lower 48.
        thank you for that info, that clears that up and Avon it is !

Comment

There are better tires for straight up touring style riding. The RoadRiders are wasted on straight roads. Where they shine is corners. Very hard corners.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            There are better tires for straight up touring style riding. The RoadRiders are wasted on straight roads. Where they shine is corners. Very hard corners.
            Avons are never wasted. For most of us, we ride the straight roads to get to the 'very hard corners.' I too say go with the Avon tyres.

tkent02, what do you recommend for a rider who makes no hard turns?

Comment

Originally posted by KKBS View Post

tkent02, what do you recommend for a rider who makes no hard turns?
              Something that lasts a little longer. The Roadriders are soft rubber, they don't last very long on highways. Avon makes all types of tires, maybe some of them last a while.

I have no specific recommendation for you, I don't do straight roads at all.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Something that lasts a little longer. The Roadriders are soft rubber, they don't last very long on highways. Avon makes all types of tires, maybe some of them last a while.

I have no specific recommendation for you, I don't do straight roads at all.
                Bridgestone makes tires with 'DTC' - dual tread compound - that are harder in the middle and softer at the edges. I haven't used them in a long while, but they did seem to last a long time as I recall.

The Avon cracking problem was a few years ago and seems to have been rectified. Good tires, but perhaps more suitable to Vermont than Arizona.
                '82 GS450T

Comment

I have the Pirelli sport demons, decent price and they ride and corner great. I'm happy with them about 6k on them and they are wearing great. I ride all types of roads, corners and straights. the other tire the guy recommended was the Dunlop D404 but the Pirelli was just a hair better on reviews

Comment

Pirelli Sport Demon, I am very impressed with them

Comment

Dunlop D404 is a Harley type tire. I have sport demons. Not mentioned is there weight. Seemed light to me.
                      Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                      Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                      Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Working...
                      X