1981 GS750L Suspension refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS750L Suspension refresh

So I finally got around to doing one of the remaining overhauls on my fiance's bike tonight. Her suspension was majorly tired especially the rear shocks which were so bad she bottomed out and tore the taillight wires which run under the fender. So I ordered her a set of RFY shocks (everyone has an opinion on these but I like them) as well as some progressive fork springs with 7.5W fork oil and a 4" spacer on each side. What a difference. The front end is absolutely perfect. The rear shocks are good just a little on the heavy side for dampening. I think this winter I'll send the shocks to Chris Livengood for a rebuild and have him put some 7W oil in them and properly charge them with nitrogen but it's not overly critical for now. I can not believe the difference in the ride quality. Pics.

As a side note to my fork disassembly tool thread the 750L forks are better suited by either removing the allen on the bottom before you remove the top cap so you have the force of the spring to hold the dampening rod or you can use the wooden broom handle trick. They do not have the 19mm hex that some of the other GS models have. All that is remaining to be done on this bike is new Shinko 712's, a V&H 4:1, seat refurb (new cover/foam/gel pad), and an Eastern Beaver fuse box upgrade. Beyond that it will be just polishing and painting this and that as the mood hits me. She is ecstatic with the bike now.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2015, 07:16 PM.

Always good to have fiance ecstatic. Nice work, what's the centerline eye to eye of those rears.mine are past their due date, so I'm looking around.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I got the 340mm units, which works out to 13.5" This was the number I came up with for stock length when I was searching around. Upon swapping them in I found they were maybe 3/4" longer but once they settle in I think they'll be ok.

Comment

Working...
      X