Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fork removal, spring and break questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork removal, spring and break questions.

Hello all, its been a little bit. Life has kept me busy and the bike had to take the back burner unfortunately but I am getting into the repairs needed to get me back on the road.

I ordered new fork seals to fix the bad leak I had. Will be getting those in shortly (I hope).

First off as I was removing the wheel, when I came to the left side brake caliper it fell off the bracket, seeming not to be held together properly. I have not seen anything out of place but from my limited experience I don't think it is supposed to do that.

Pictures of the brake.

Next thing is the springs, I ordered sonic springs to replace the springs I had in there. I noticed the sonic springs are about 6 1/2" shorter. Is this normal? I am assuming such but would like to make sure.

Also making sure I have the correct information. With my forks I have the schrader valve, this is what would be used for preload if my understanding is correct. So as far as setting the preload I do not need to do anything other than the spacer.

Many thanks, I did attempt some searches but I am coming up short this late at night.

Thanks all!

I put the sonic springs in my L last year and noticed that they were shorter as well. It was then that I compared the shock length with a G model and realized that they were longer. Discarded the instruction part about the length to cut the spacer and made it longer to fit so that I had the proper pre-load. Worked out well with no problems. I set mine up in a woodworking vice with wooden jaws that would not marr the shocks and this made it extremely easy to re-assemble.

Comment

Yes, the springs will be a different length than stock. That's virtually always the case with aftermarket springs. Typically shorter, but not always.
      Please follow the directions on sizing the spacer, the method in the instructions insures that the preload (and hence the sag) will be very close to perfect. You do not want the total spring/spacer length to be the same as stock, that will be too much preload with the new springs.
      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Many thanks for the information. Very impressed by sonic springs so far, just their customer service and quality are great.

Everything is going smoothly so far. Now that I have all the tools, waiting on parts and she should be running by Wednesday.

Comment

Got everything installed finally after a long wait for the seals.

Holy S*** these springs are awesome so much better than the stock ones before. Worth the time and $$ to install. So much more control and better feel of the road. One happy camper today.

Comment

Working...
          X