Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 850GN.. rear shock leaked riding 2-up. Is it toast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 850GN.. rear shock leaked riding 2-up. Is it toast?

Just completed a 500 mile 'break-in' trip on the '79 850G. (And yes... I have had the carbs done, set the valves, rebuilt the calipers, cleaned the electrical system, changed every fluid several times, redone the fork seals, replaced tires, and so on...)

About half of that was with my wife on the back, plus a couple tail bags.

Neither of us is a featherweight...

Among the lingering mechanical bits of malfunction....one of the rear shocks clearly spilled enough oil to run down the side of the cylinder and drip onto the shaft-drive hub and muffler. Has never leaked previously, during my ownership. (5 months or so)

1) given that most riding I do is just me... once the seal leaks, is it done, or is it possible that it was just having a very hard day?
    2) looking at the supply of OEM used shocks on ebay... ought I do them as a pair, or if there's (for example) a single shock in good shape, can I safely replace just the one which leaked? (with a matching original one, of course)
    Robin Elwood
    1980 GS 850T
    My kids wish I had a sidecar. But I don't.
    ~
    Previous:
    '79 GS 850 GN
    '79 Kawasaki KZ400
    '83 GS 650L

The internal pressure is greater is greater when the shock is compressed. A bumpy road will heat the oil, making it thinner. So maybe you just had a bad day, but the seals are marginal.

I'd be afraid to buy used OEM shocks, since the seals are likely to be just as tired.

The cheapest shocks worth buying are about 200USD. Any deals too good to be true probably are.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Your 36 year old shocks are toast...........they weren't very good to begin with new. Buy yourself some new ones, don't waste your money on used shocks.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
        Your 36 year old shocks are toast...........they weren't very good to begin with new. Buy yourself some new ones, don't waste your money on used shocks.
        Yeah, except the new ones suck too. I have yet to find any that ride worth a hoot.
        Hagons, Progressives, Ikons, Ohlins, they all ride like an empty 3 ton truck. Those Emgo ones are a joke.

The only thing crappy shocks do is make me appreciate my BMW.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I've had personal experience with Hagons on my 78' 1000 with progressive springs up front and it rode fantastically, and I'm not shy with the throttle. I have progressive rear shocks on the 80' 1000 with progressive springs up front and it's great, smooth and comfortable in the corners, sure they're not Ohlins but they are great for what the bike is and for the price. I currently have Ikons on the 78' 1000 with Sonics and emulators up front and the things is beast in the corners. Trevor, who has a 2012 BMW 1300R rode it on our last trip together and said "this thing is planted" and I would agree with him. I've never owned a set of Ohlins but for the price tag I would have to guess they damn fine.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thank you much for the knowledge.... on the list go some better shocks. Somewhere behind the top-end gasket/rings refresh and somewhere ahead of the new grips....
            Robin Elwood
            1980 GS 850T
            My kids wish I had a sidecar. But I don't.
            ~
            Previous:
            '79 GS 850 GN
            '79 Kawasaki KZ400
            '83 GS 650L

Comment

I picked up a used set of shocks off ebay a month ago- I got lucky cuz they work well and their appearance indicates little use. They might only last out this season, but who knows. I got tired of researching new ones.
              So consider buying a used set (always get a mating pair) to get you thru this season- sometimes you get lucky!
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I had Emgos on the bike when I got it. They just pumped oil. I got a set of the $200 Hagon shocks and it has transformed the bike, admittedly from a low base. We ride a lot two up and they are holding up very well.
                Rebuildable shocks are one thing. Used,sealed oem quite another. Even if they had been thirty years on a shelf the seals are most likely toast or will be shortly after fitting.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                X