• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help finding tires for a gs400l

As the tittle says, I'm looking for tires for my 400GS, my rims say

Front: J 19XMT1.85
    REAR: J 16X2.15

I'm having a hard time finding what tire size I need, anything that lists my bike is suggesting a tube tire, mine are tubeless enkei alloys. Any help would be appreciated.

Here's a picture of my newly powder coated wheels, new shoes, and wheel bearings

I think your trouble might have been that you were looking for tires based on the rim width, not the tire width that works with these rims. You'll only find scooter or moped tires, if anything.

If you look up the original tire sizes on any Suzuki parts site, you can find the original tire sizes. Then find a conversion chart to get the proper modern tire sizes.

The front rim is easy -- that would take a 100/90-19 (original was 3.60X19 tire). These are very common.

The rear is a little harder -- that would take a 120/90-16 (originally a 4.60X16). A 130/90-16 is very common, but would be too wide for that rim width.

My go-to sites for looking up weird tires (at least in the US) are these two. They'll at least help give you an idea what might be available so you can find them through a Canadian supplier. Not sure whether they ship up nort'.

http://tiresunlimited.com/motorcycle_tires.htm <== hideous site, tough to navigate, but all kinds of strange tires available

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog <== handy menu for searching by size.

In the 120/90-16 rear, there seem to be three choices in a tubeless tire with a matching 100/90-19 available.

IRC DUROTOUR RS310
    DURO HF261A
    KENDA CHALLENGER

Out of these, based on my past experience and what I remember of others' experiences, I'd rank the IRC Durotours first, the Duro HF second, and I would avoid the Kendas entirely -- they're probably cheapest, but they're dangerously slippery.
    Last edited by bwringer; 08-21-2015, 01:37 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

the rear wheel looks idetnical to a 83 gs 550 L
      that bike has a 130 90 16

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
        the rear wheel looks idetnical to a 83 gs 550 L
        that bike has a 130 90 16
        Look it up. The 83 550L has a wider rear rim (2.50 inches) and so it takes a 130/90-16 rear tire.

The OP's GS400 rear rim width is 2.15 inches. A 130/90-16 will be too wide, and the handling will be strange. 120/90-16 is the correct size, and it's well worth the effort to locate the correct tire.

Of course, there are lots of doofs and lots of shops who have stuffed a common 130 onto a rim suited for a 120. But it's not correct and handling will be compromised. Unless it's an emergency, there's no reason to do this.
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I know its wider I wonder if he could retrofit the wider rim. Worth a try to have more options.

Comment

Thanks Bwringer for all that great info!
            If I can source stock size somewhere then I'd prefer to run that.

I'm looking at the Kenda K657 challenger, 120/90 16 for $81 and the same tire for the front in a 100/90 19 for $75. I'll be ordering these from canadadas motorcycle, they offer free shipping. Anyone object or think there my be something better I should run? Do people often run different style tires on the front and rear?
            Thanks again everyone for all the info, you're much more help than the local bike shop I got to try and source some tires, still waiting on his call back :/ ....it's been a few days!

Comment

Mixing front and rear tire makes is getting off track, but will work if they are similar designs. Like: they are both Bias-ply, or both radial.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by C_OUELLET View Post
                Thanks Bwringer for all that great info!
                If I can source stock size somewhere then I'd prefer to run that.

I'm looking at the Kenda K657 challenger, 120/90 16 for $81 and the same tire for the front in a 100/90 19 for $75. I'll be ordering these from canadadas motorcycle, they offer free shipping. Anyone object or think there my be something better I should run? Do people often run different style tires on the front and rear?
                Thanks again everyone for all the info, you're much more help than the local bike shop I got to try and source some tires, still waiting on his call back :/ ....it's been a few days!
                Huh?

Yes, as I mentioned there are at least two much better tires, and the Kenda Challengers are NOT recommended. I believe it's well worth a few measly extra bucks for the IRCs or Duros.

I have personal experience with the Kendas and IRCs. The Kendas are deadly in the rain.
                Eat more venison.

Comment

I did get the durotour IRC, got them mounted and here's a picture!
                  Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X