Dual Sport tires for gs450L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Sport tires for gs450L

Hey Does anyone know of any dual sport tires that would fit a 1982 gs450L? the rear wheel is 16 inch(smaller than other gs450's i think) and the front is 19.
    Ive been able to find tires from separate manufacturers for the front or back but not a matching set available in both sizes.

Front: 90/90-19 Rear: 120/90-16.

A matched set might be hard to find. Are you changing the stock L bars out? The pull backs may be wonky feeling off roading. The L doesn't have the best suspension for rough stuff either. Is it a total makeover to come up with a dual sport type bike? The bike is light and nimble with decent power and 6 speed to find the right power band.

Here's a rear tire:

Up a size for front:

Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2015, 01:52 AM.

Comment

cool thanks for the links. The bars on it now are almost straight tracker bars. I was given the bike and it was pretty much stripped by the previous owner so i have to replace everything anyway. I'm not intending to ride the bike on anything too rough off road, just a lot of logging roads. To be honest though i don't have much of a clue what i'm doing. Any other tips on how to make the gs450 a little more dirt worthy would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Over on ADVrider, a few folks have tried much the same thing with Hondas and Suzukis with 16" rears.

Here's the subforum over there where there are lots of other people making dual-sports out of totally inappropriate machinery.

That rear tire is pretty much it in a 16", but it should work OK. For the front, you might also look for a 2.75X19, 3.00X19, or 90/100-19. Be aware that many dual-sport tires require tubes.

Here's the TW39:

To research goofy tire sizes, American Moto Tire has a very handy tire size selector that will show you everything that's available in a given size.
        America's trusted online source to shop the best discounted Motorcycle, UTV, ATV, Side by Side, and 4 Wheeler aftermarket tires, gear, parts and accessories.

Great vendor, too -- great prices, free fast shipping.

Overall, sure, you can make a fun little explorer that will go lots of places. You'll need to go slow because the short-travel street suspension will beat the hell out of you on rough stuff. Depending on how gnarly you get, you may want to fabricate a skid plate to protect the engine's soft underbelly and the pipes.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

thanks a lot for the tire tip and the link to advrider. i was going to get the tw40 for the rear and i guess the tw39 is the corresponding front tire. hah i realize the gs will never be a full on dual sport but the bike was free and im surrounded by forest roads so i might as well have a little fun with it. Any suggestions for rear shocks? the P.O. had really short solid struts on it. thanks again
          Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2015, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Here's the subforum over there where there are lots of other people making dual-sports out of totally inappropriate machinery.

Inappropriateness , as well as beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Has anyone tried to put a 130/80/17 TKC80 rear tire on a gs450?? they dont make a 120 i guess

Comment

Originally posted by getoffmysoil View Post
                Has anyone tried to put a 130/80/17 TKC80 rear tire on a gs450?? they dont make a 120 i guess
                I thought your 450L has a 16" rear rim? Anyway, a 130 size may be cutting it close to touching the chain guard and/or the swingarm never mind that you'll be squeezing on a rim that may be closer to a 110 size stock tire anyway. The TKC80 is also a pretty aggressive dual sport tread that may squirm and be noisy on the highway. Let's face it, you will be doing 90% pavement riding right? Remember, the bike suspension is not a dual sport setup and if you do a complete makeover, then save your $ and get a decent used KLR or DL650 and be happier with the results.
                Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2015, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Keep your 19" front but find a rear wheel from a non L 450, it will be 18" and will work a lot better on gravel and dirt.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                    I thought your 450L has a 16" rear rim? Anyway, a 130 size may be cutting it close to touching the chain guard and/or the swingarm never mind that you'll be squeezing on a rim that may be closer to a 110 size stock tire anyway. The TKC80 is also a pretty aggressive dual sport tread that may squirm and be noisy on the highway. Let's face it, you will be doing 90% pavement riding right? Remember, the bike suspension is not a dual sport setup and if you do a complete makeover, then save your $ and get a decent used KLR or DL650 and be happier with the results.
                    yeah i figured a 130 would be cutting it close. i live on a mountain surrounded by dirt and logging roads so ill probably use the bike on hard packed dirt more than pavement. I don't plan on using it to commute or anything. i was looking at the tkc80 but i don't want it to be uncomfortable or noisy when i use it on pavement at speed.

Comment

To research goofy tire sizes, American Moto Tire has a very handy tire size selector that will show you everything that's available in a given size.
                      America's trusted online source to shop the best discounted Motorcycle, UTV, ATV, Side by Side, and 4 Wheeler aftermarket tires, gear, parts and accessories.

Great vendor, too -- great prices, free fast shipping.
                      wow, that's a useful link! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X